Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Kali: Messed up nails need advice!

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
So I recently rescued Kali I noticed today that her nails were messed up. I've read everything I can find online but I'm still having trouble dealing with her nails. When I got Kali I was told her nails were just cut. Her nails could not have gotten so twisted up and chipped with proper care. I only noticed today because I just happened to see her paw when I was picking her up to weigh her. Because her nails are twisted sideways, you don't feel how long they've become. I'm going to try and have someone come over tonight or tomorrow and help with her. Shes too big and furry to do it alone. She shoves her head over my hand and her paw to stop me from doing her nails.

Her nails are blunt and chipped at the ends and her toes are starting to bend sideways on the end toes of each foot. I really need some advice from people who've dealt with this before. I know that I can trim the nails back over time to correct this but do you think there is permanent damage to her? Is there anything I can do to speed this up so she does not get worse? She does not appear to be in pain, does this warrant a vet visit?

It may not be damage. Some pigs just have wonky nails/toes. Just trim them as close to the quick as you can, and try keeping them as short as possible.

Make sure to be careful not to cut the wick or skin

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.