Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this safe for rabbits?

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I'm on critterstore.com buying a few things for my pets. Are these two products safe for rabbits?

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

I just don't know what kind of treats to get for my rabbit. Any ideas? I don't know what she will like.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
I give wheatgrass to my piggies, but I don't know for rabbits.

I'm just here to recommend that you buy it bulk... pet stores tend to overprice wheat grass. A lot of health food stores online, and even some grocery stores, carry wheat grass (or seed) and it's usually about 1/4 the price.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Both items look fine. Wheat grass can be fed to rabbits as an occasional treat, and oxbow products are high quality. I have not tried either with my rabbit, so I don't know how much rabbits will enjoy them.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The wheatgrass will be fine, but you can also feed over veggies or grow it yourself.

The last one, some rabbits love it, others don't. It's high in sugar so offer sparingly. A small piece of carrot is a good treat for rabbits too.

tweetypie

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
as long as you don't give to much at the same time, you will have one happy bunny

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
As far as company-manufactured treats go, I would highly suggest the Oxbow Papaya tablets since papaya may be helpful in preventing hairballs. However, as with any of these treats, it's important to use in moderation.

keylime

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
For my rabbits I make a rabbit salad,I start with romaine lettuce,peppermint leafs,pea pods,dandelion leafs,carrots,green peppers and I add very little fruit like a little apple and a wee bit of bananna I use everthing very sparingly,I give it to them once a week,On every other day of the week I give them a carrot one day and some lettuce the next,They love the salad,I grow alot of my own veggies,I think its better to have a little garden for your buns.I like to give my bunnies fresh treats,some of the things at petstores are just junk,I give them oxbow treats every once in a while,I dont want to over do it.

jam224

Cavy Slave
I just don't know what kind of treats to get for my rabbit. Any ideas? I don't know what she will like.
Every rabbit is different, but there are a lot of options for treats!!

Your first link didn't work for me, but the Critter Berries are very healthy as a treat, especially considering what pet stores market as treats.

I would stay away from yogurt drops and other high-in-sugar treats. I would use either fruit or veggies as treats. Our rabbits enjoy:
-- raisins
-- craisins
-- dried papaya bites
-- dried banana chips
-- SMALL slice of banana (less than 1 inch)
-- small piece of carrot (baby carrots are excellent)

Feed treats sparingly, no more than 1 tablespoon per day is recommended by most. Our buns usually only get treats for being good and they don't get them every day.

They do get an Oxbow papaya tablet daily to help with their GI tract. There is no added sugar, but we do treat the tablet as a treat also.

Hope this helps! :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.