Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is this normal & OKAY behavior?

LexPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hello there!

I have two male guinea pigs. One is a black crested pig named Mac while the other is a white shorthair (Joe). Joe is a very active (though skittish) pig, while Mac enjoys sitting in his pigloo & eating. Joe appears to like Mac very much and often comes into his pigloo & sit right up next to him or on the other side.. when he does that, Mac begins to rumble or teeth chatter. Though, he only sits there while doing it. He has not tried to attack Joe nor does he leave. He only makes the sound. Sometimes, while Mac is rumbling at him Mac begins to HAPPILY wheek! What is going on?! They sometimes chase each other around the cage but it never looks harmful i'm just concerned about the sounds Mac is making and don't want him to be uncomfortable. They have been together for about a week 1/2 with Macbeing the oldest and the first one I had. What to do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's normal. But either get rid of the pigloo or cut another hole in. All they're good for is for one pig to trap another, and it's an excellent way for the trapping guinea pig to get its face slashed.

If I had my way, it would be illegal to see pigloos that only have one door in them. Every hidey in a pig's cage should have at least two doors.

LexPiggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I was thinking about removing the pigloos & getting something with multiple openings in case they try to trap one another. Also, would it be a good idea to get a female (neutered) pig? or another male if I were to get another?

( I don't plan on getting another one for a while but i just wanted to know)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't put two boars in with a female. They'll fight, even if they've been neutered. And we never recommend a trio of boars. Two will usually work, big herds can work, three almost never does.

If you want more pigs, I'd suggest another cage, and then you can get either boars or sows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.