Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is this a good cage for a pair? L 35 H 22 1/2 W 19

Jaimemuffin

Cavy Gazer
I was originally thinking of getting one, but dont want it to be lonely, but i have this cage: (broken link removed)

It is a "small" oxbow play yard habitat, L 35 H 22 1/2 W 19. I was thinking about adding a cloroplast second level, with either a tube ramp or a fleece lined grid one?

Any suggestions?

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately those pet store cages are never near big enough for one piggie, let alone two. I impulse bought my pig Pansy, and I got her the carefresh happy habitat because it was on sale at petsmart, and it was okay until my mom decided to get Pansy a buddy (best decision ever, in the end) and then it was far too small. It was about the same size as the cage you have shown here. I ended up making my own C&C and lemme tell you, I'll never go back. They LOVE their new cage. They have so much more space to run and just be pigs. So, I would highly recommend just doing a c and c, and perhaps you could throw the store cage in as a kitchen or something. I've seen people take sides off those cages and connect them to their grid cages. And as for the second level, when it comes to pigs, you should expand outward, not upward. They need at least 7.5 sq ft of ground level, uninterrupted running space. You could still make a loft, but it won't count towards the square footage. For having a pair, that would be the recommended size for two females anyway. If you get males you will definitely need to go larger.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, that cage isn't nearly large enough for one pig, much less two. And if your pair happens to boars, you'll need even more space.

Look at the Main tab at the top of this page for information on C&C cages. You can get enough free or cheap materials to make a much larger cage for your pigs, and they'll be much happier.

Jaimemuffin

Cavy Gazer
No, that cage isn't nearly large enough for one pig, much less two. And if your pair happens to boars, you'll need even more space.

Look at the Main tab at the top of this page for information on C&C cages. You can get enough free or cheap materials to make a much larger cage for your pigs, and they'll be much happier.

Thanks guys! Ill try to figure out how to make that work. I have a dog and a cat, and am worried about a c&c being "strong" enough, just in case.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A C&C is plenty strong if you use heavy duty zip-ties and snug them tightly together.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I second the strength aspect of it, so long as they are properly put together and zip ties are used. If you have other pets, just get one with a lid! ;)

Jaimemuffin

Cavy Gazer
Hey all, would it be a better idea to sell the oxbow and just build a c&c?

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Hey all, would it be a better idea to sell the oxbow and just build a c&c?

Yes, definitely. A c&c is always infinitely better. You could sell the cage to get your money back, or you could keep it as a holding cage or if one of your pigs ever needs to be quarantined for a short time. Its really up to you. I sold my petstore cage because i needed the money back.

Jaimemuffin

Cavy Gazer
Yes, definitely. A c&c is always infinitely better. You could sell the cage to get your money back, or you could keep it as a holding cage or if one of your pigs ever needs to be quarantined for a short time. Its really up to you. I sold my petstore cage because i needed the money back.

Just listed it on the good ol' craigslist.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Hopefully someone will buy it, but not for a pig! The girl who bought my cage actually bought it for her hedgehog. To her, it was a huge cage. And it actually would work perfectly for a hedgehog.

Jaimemuffin

Cavy Gazer
If you haven't had it too long and it hasn't been used you might try to return it to Petsmart. I did that with the first rat cage that I bought from Petsmart. I got it home and realized that it was way too small for my rats. I got my money back and then purchased the CritterNation from the Drs. Foster& Smith website.

I actually bought it used, so no luck there.

Jaimemuffin

Cavy Gazer
Mine used to have a hedgehog, but he wasnt a good fit for my family! The family that adopted him wasnt interested in the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.