Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is my new hay dispenser a safety concern?

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
I may be over-thinking this or being too overprotective but I'm wondering if the placement of my hay dispenser may be unsafe for the piggies. I used to use a cloth hay bag but after finding one or the other inside the bag and accidentally startling them out, I started to worry that one might impale her eye with a hay twig soooooo I've tried my hand at making my own hay dispenser. It's a bent grid with coroplast on the back and sides (put it on the sides to keep them from climbing in).

Their kitchen has a grid top on it. I'd really like to have the hay dispenser on the short end of their kitchen (makes the kitchen less crowded) but have noticed that the dispenser goes past the roof top slightly. Is this a problem? I've suddenly started imagining one of them somehow climbing part of it and jumping out. Be honest...am I being paranoid? :)

Hay dispenser 4.jpghay dispenser 3.jpgHay dispenser 1.jpgHay Dispenser 5.jpg

piggsters

Cavy Slave
If you have an extra grid, you can connect it to the roof to cover up the end of the dispenser.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
I've run out of grids, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion thought, piggsters!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think you're over-thinking it. Which, really, is easy to do after reading through so many accounts of all the things that can potentially go wrong with these guys. If you see it becoming a potential issue, you can get more grids or a piece of coroplast to block it, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Thanks Paula! Yup....I think I'm over-thinking it as well but knowing me...I start obsessing about it. lol. I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and low and behold, they had two boxes of grids so I bought one box. Added one more grid there. Hate the way it looks. May pull it off and just chill out about worrying about it so much. They spent all day with no grid there and they were fine...didn't get into any trouble. I appreciate it!!

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
If you don’t like how it looks, maybe you could disguise it with a fleece forest or something?

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Thanks Piggly12. I think it's just the fact that where once it was open, it's now obstructed. No big deal though. Safety is more important. :)

cassiejava

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I noticed you are using a cloth instead of litter at the bottom of the cage. I am curious. How does that work out?

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Funny you should ask! Just last night I switched to Carefresh in the kitchen. The rest of the cage still has fleece. So far so good. The kitchen was getting rather smelly quickly so I decided to try out the carefresh instead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.