Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is my male actually a female?

I'd be calling every vet in the area until someone sees you. You could take her to an emergency hospital. Even if she is pregnant she looks too skinny. Hope you get answers soon!

You must find a vet in your area or surrounding areas. If want we could help you find one. Do you have a vet in your original location you can speak with? Maybe they know of a vet clinic in the area you are in now.
If she is truly not eating or drinking anything at all, she will need force fed mashed pellets or critical care. Lots of water, as well. Pigs can do downhill very fast.

The trip most likely freaked her out; how was she before you left? That is a long trip for a piggy, let alone a pregnant pig.

She was actually completely fine during the trip and immediately after. She was eating and drinking and popcorning when we arrived at my mom's house. I'm not sure what caused the sudden change. I don't think she has toxemia; her ears and feet aren't cold at all.

I may have found the reason: I have been trusting my two brothers to feed her her veggies :(
. They have only been giving her a leaf of lettuce a day. I know that it's my fault for allowing them to do so, but could that be the cause of her lack of appetite? A vitamin deficiency?

Should I begin a new post for this subject?

No, most people read all the new posts, so there's no need for a new one. It's a summer Saturday afternoon, and things are slow.

Do you know for sure if she is pregnant? Do you weigh her regularly? Is she gaining or losing weight? Is she peeing and pooping?

If it's been a week, she's been eating, or she wouldn't still be here. Guinea pigs have to have food moving through their digestive systems at all times, or they'll go into GI stasis, and that's a medical emergency.

I'm not sure, and I don't weigh her. I only had the vet's word for it, but I don't think he's very experienced with guinea pigs (especially pregnant ones). She is peeing and pooping. Less than usual, though, of course.

Have you tried holding her on your lap and handfeeding her? Or tried handfeeding her with a syringe?

The immediate problem isn't that she may be pregnant, it's whether or not she's eating a sufficient amount to keep her innards going.

I have been holding her on my lap and feeding her. She eats a lot then, but not when the food is just in her bowl.

Then the issue may just be her new surroundings. I'd keep handfeeding her all of her meals, but put a few of the things she likes best in her bowl. Gradually decrease what you handfeed and increase what you put in the bowl and see if she'll make the switch.

As far as pregnancy goes, you say she's exhibiting all the signs. What signs are you seeing? Can you feel pups moving if you put your hands along her flanks and press gently? Can you hear pups' teeth gnashing? Is she getting larger?

You really do need a scale for weighing your pigs. You can get an adequate kitchen scale for less than $10 -- you need one that weighs up to about five pounds in both grams and ounces. Weighing your pig on a regular basis and recording the weights is the very best help you can have in determining whether a pig is really sick or not.

She WAS displaying signs. She was eating and drinking more than usual, and she was growing larger and laying around more. I can't feel any pups or see them kicking, which is why I'm beginning to doubt the vet.

And I will look into getting a scale!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.