Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is my male actually a female?

KaraRaine

Cavy Slave
I have been housing my guinea pigs together for a few months. Both the pet store and my piggies' vet have told me that they are male, but I'm not so sure! My Ollie has grown very large in "his" abdominal area and does nothing but lie around. S/he is constantly eating and drinking.
Does this look like a female? If so, what steps should I take next?

Attachments

image.jpg
How many months have they been together? The gestation period is typically 59-73 days, meaning about 2-2.4 months.

I can't tell from the picture, to me it looks a bit like a female but I have very little experience in sexing pigs.
Try to press downwards just above the genital area & towards it, a penis should pop out if it's a male, or you may feel the ridge of the penis.
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Last edited:
Try doing HannibalLecters to see if it is a male. If your guinea pig is a she and is pregnant separate them if it is a male take him to the vet ASAP because it could something around his adominal area. It kind of looks like a female though.

She looks female to me. Please separate at least until you can figure out, just in case.

I agree, that looks like a female!

I took Ollie to the vet, and he is indeed a she :)
She is pregnant and has a few weeks to go.
Thanks everyone for your help!

I guess she is Olivia now! Good luck with her pregnancy!

The vet told me she was close to delivery, but that was a month ago. She is still exhibiting all of the signs of pregnancy though. I feel as though her pregnancy has been going on for too long. Is this normal?
I keep wondering if she's even pregnant

Pregnancy lasts about 10 weeks so she may be close to giving birth. Do you feel the babies moving if you put your hands softly around her belly? Or have you heard the babies' teeth? About 48 hours prior to delivery the pelvic bones separate. Usually piggies will surprise you with their babies when you least expect them :)! Keep us posted.

Here's a picture, if that helps at all. I can't hear or feel babies; that's partially why I'm so concerned. :(Is my male actually a female?

And also a comparative "before I knew she was a female and housed her with a male" picture. She does seem to have gained weight since! Maybe I'm just being paranoid..but I just keep wondering if she isn't pregnant at all!Is my male actually a female?

I was given a pregnant piggie. There came a point, about 3-4 weeks before she had them, when there was no question. Turned out there were 3, and she became HUGE before giving birth. Not only could I feel the babies, I could see them moving around, and there was just no doubt. She does look like she could be. Well, if she is, have fun. It goes by quickly, as they are so well developed at birth, but they are so sweet and fun.

She does look pregnant.

I thought the vet said she was pregnant? How did the vet determine that she was pregnant?

The vet only felt her, I think. I didn't take her to the vet, my dad did. Could he have been wrong? He said it'd be a couple weeks..

I had to go o a long road trip to visit my mom for the summer, and I took my pig with me. It's been a week and I haven't had to refill her food, water, or hay at all. She normally eats all of her hay and drinks all of her water in one day. I don't know what to do! There isn't a vet in this area.

She also looks very thin, and there isn't really a baby bump at all.

I really need some help, guys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.