Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Is my current cage okay for my pigs?

Aigoo

Cavy Slave
I have the X-Large cage for my pigs, and it's measurement is 46.9" L X 22.8" W X 24" H. Is the size okay? If it is too small, please tell me what size should I buy for my pigs?
Thanks.

How many pigs do you have? Check out the main page, the size requirements are on there.

I have two. I saw the chart, but I would like people's thoughts.

Boys or girls?
Is it a C&C?

According to your description, you cage measurements in grids is about 3.4 by 1.6 (each C&C grid is about 14" long). The minimum requirements for two sows is a 2 by 4. If you have boars, the cage should be bigger. Unfortunately, your cage is too small for even 1 guinea pig.

Your cage is 7.4 square feet, just below the bare minimum of 7.5 sq ft needed for 1-2 sows. And if these are the outside measurements, the bottom of the cage where the pigs are is even smaller. If it's the inside measurements it should be okay, but slightly too narrow to run laps & you may have to upgrade if there are any dominance issues in the future.

I have two females. I brought the cage from PETCO. It was biggest cage that they had.
So, is it better if I order C&C 2x4 cage? I have cats around the house.... The pigs are being kept in my bedroom, so I prefer it to be covered in case if my cats enter my room.

I just ordered 2x5 C&C cage. Thanks guys for the answers. :D

Your piggies are going to love it!!

I only hope they will be able to forgive for making them stay in small space until their new cage arrives! I feel bad now!

I only hope they will be able to forgive for making them stay in small space until their new cage arrives! I feel bad now!

Mine was in one for 4 months before I found this site to get my girl a nice size c & c cage.

Yes for 2 girls a 2x4 is fine. And when we say 2x4 we're talking 2 grids by 4 grids (just to clarify). You can definitely cover the cage. You can make a lid out of grids or closest shelving. If you plan to buy from the guineapigcagesstore they sell covered cages.

Your girls will adore the 2 x 5 :)

Yes for 2 girls a 2x4 is fine. And when we say 2x4 we're talking 2 grids by 4 grids (just to clarify). You can definitely cover the cage. You can make a lid out of grids or closest shelving. If you plan to buy from the guineapigcagesstore they sell covered cages.

Yeah I understood what you guys meant by 2x4, but I decided to go for bigger one so I ordered 2x5.

Some people get a little confused so sometimes I just want to be sure.:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.