Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Myself And My Piggers!

bbqbarbiedolls said:
Maybe you could get Pablo neutered and then Harry and Pablo can live together without any little accidents.
Yes, that would solve all of my problems wouldn't it. Pablo would already have been neutered long ago if it wasn't so risky for pigs.

I have decided to take the boys away tomorrow. You are right, I don't know if I can trust all of the breeders I talk to. Actually I only spoke to them on the other forum I belong to, so I don't even know what the living conditions of his/her animals are. I would move them out tonight but it is late.

When the addition on my house is finished I will be building all of my pigs new cc cages. I can't wait, I even have them all planned out.:)

I am so glad to hear that! Be open to stuff people say on this forum. I was rather skeptical at first, because I've had guinea pigs for over a decade so you'd think I'd know a lot...but BOY do they know more, and are they ever right!

Have fun with your C&Cs :).

Thats really good to hear Queen. Definitly stick around here there are tons of things to learn.

If you have a good vet who knows what he is doing, guinea pig nuetering isnt as risky as you would think. I have had two boys nuetered myself and they both came through it with flying colors. One was about eight months and the other(his dad) was about six or seven years old. You donthave to get him nueterd if you are keeping any of the babies though. You could put him and his sons together.

Do you see the three babies in my avatar? They were the result of floortime together. I thought that if I watched Salem and Honey nothing would happen. Obviously I wasent watching close enough.

Last edited:
Well I thought I had a good cavy savy vet, but it turned out he wasn't as good as I thought. I trusted him with the lives of my beloved Rex and then Bandit. I believe that Rex needed a simple tooth trim, yet he died a week after being seen by the vet, he was six. Then there was Bandit, my baby, we are still not sure what took him, but his time came far to soon, he would have been four. I am very attached to my pigs and spend a good part of my day watching them, feeding them, cleaning up after them and holding them. They are about 99.9% of my spare time. So when I lost both of my boys I promised that I would not take my pigs to the vet unless absolutely neccessary. Since the death of my boys I switched vets and have been there twice with Pablo. I still don't trust vets completely.
Also, Pablo goes to work five days a week. He is a class pet in my mom's school. So I think it would be unfair to keep taking him in and out of a cage with another pig.
I will be keeping two of the babies, a male and a female. Molly, the abbysinian baby is staying with Agness(mom) and Ridley is going to my little brother. Charlie is going to be a class pet in my mom's friend's classroom. I will be able to visit him often as she cannot cut his toenails.
This site has really given me some great ideas for my new cages. My entire closet will be dedicated to my pigs. I know it sounds cruel, but my closet is going to be huge. I believe it is 6'4"x10', something like that anyway, and it has several outlets and heat and ac, even a window! There will be two cages, one with Aggie and Molly(2x6 grids) and Harriet(2x3 grids). There will also be a big playpen for floor time. The boys will go in my brother's room.

I am glad that you are seperating your pigs. In response to this

"Also, Pablo goes to work five days a week. He is a class pet in my mom's school. So I think it would be unfair to keep taking him in and out of a cage with another pig."

I dont know where you live or what the climate is, but bringing them inside and out can get them sick if you live in a chilly climate. I would think that that would still be a lot of stress being moved 5 days a week as well. Pigs are social and just because he "works 5 days a week" shouldnt mean that he is exempt from having a buddy.

Pablo's cage at home is next to all of the other pigs cages, so he can see and smell them. He does not go back and forth to school everyday either. He goes in on Monday morning and leaves Friday afternoon. He will not be going back to work for a few weeks as it is very cold and snowy right now. Once our addition is complete and things have settled down, I will consider getting him a spayed sow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.