Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Insulation question.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I need suggestions on how best to insulate my cage for the upcoming winter months. My bedroom, where my five herbivores live, isn't well-insulated and it has a balcony that is also poorly-insulated. Right now my room has been around 60-65F, which I know is a tad on the cold side, and that's not much warmer than the outdoor temperature [it's been 50-60F]. I have extra fleeces covering some parts of my two girls' 2x5/loft C&C cage and I put in their pigloo and I sewed them a bunch of snuggle bags so they can snuggle it up in those. They're on fleece bedding and carefresh in their kitchen area, I don't know if that makes any difference heat-wise, but at least it's soft on their feets. I have a thermometer on their cage so I know when it's too cold [or in the summer, too hot] for them, and I have a space heater in my room for such an occasion.
We are going to do our best to insulate the balcony [it's essentially a sunroom.. has a lot of windows, not like a balcony with railings and whatnot, if you have any suggestions, feel free.], we've put up the storm door, but as far as the pigs' cage goes, what can we do? Would it help to put cardboard on the sides of the cage? I can't really think of anything else. Relocation is not a option. Thanks in advance for your help.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
COuld you get a heating pad? Battery-powered? If you were able I would keep it on low. The guinea pigs could go there if they were to cold and if they were to warm they could move off of it.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
COuld you get a heating pad? Battery-powered? If you were able I would keep it on low. The guinea pigs could go there if they were to cold and if they were to warm they could move off of it.
If it is cost-effective and environmentally okay, then yes. But I haven't been able to find anything.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Heating pads really aren't good for pigs. Even battery operated ones can be dangerous if chewed on.

Just use extra fleece in and around the cage as an extra measure and possible cuddle sacks, cozies, cuddle cups, etc. You could take a fleece blanket and clip it around the outside and part of the top of the cage. Fleece is a good insulator. I sleep with 2 fleece blankets on my bed and they keep me pretty warm. 60-65F really isn't too cold for them but anything under 60 is getting a bit on the cold side.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
We drape the "bedroom" areas of the cages with fleece blankets.

We also use fleece tents instead of pigloos. Just tie two ends of a 30" x 30" fleece baby blanket (we get them at Walgreens for $1 each) about 5 grids up by 10 or 11 grids across. Place another baby blanket (folded lengthwise) under the tent area, so it can be changed a couple of times a day.

These tents work wonderfully. The pigs can snuggle up in them (like we do with our own blankets). Another plus is that you can rub and massage the piggies while they're under the blanket. They love it!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.