Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I think my pig is sick.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I have long been worried about my first pig. I got her from a pet store, and she didn't get proper nutrition from me until this spring. She is almost a year and a half. I am always very concerned about her, and I took her for a check-up about a month ago, but the vet said she was fine

I felt like she was loosing weight, so I started weighing her daily. Between yesterday at 2 pm and today at 9 am she lost two ounces. I also noticed that she has been more lethargic, and today she didn't eat her veggies for a while, and when she did, she didn't finish them, like she usually does. Other than that, I see absolutely no symptoms. She does itch sometimes, but the vet was pretty sure it was just dry skin and dandruff. It's been a month, and I haven't seen any bold spots, etc.

I called the vet's office. The cavy savvy vet works there Wednesday through Saturday, so I scheduled her appointment for the first thing Wednesday morning

I don't know if I have complete faith in the vet, and I want to have as much information as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am just so upset. I have lost the last two pets (rat and guinea pig) after they got sick, even though I got each to the vet, and they did everything they could (including putting my rat on oxygen). I don't really know what I am asking for. I just don't want to lose her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Weights can fluctuate from day to day, and time of day can also mean a different weight. However, two ounces in less than 24 hours warrants emergency attention. Combined with her loss of appetite and lethargy, it sounds like she might have a gut issue or possibly a URI.

In any case, she really should be seen before Wednesday and if you're not sure of your vet, try and find a better one, but whatever you do, get her in as soon as you can.

couchon

Cavy Slave
Do you have any advice at all on how to find a good vet? The vet clinic that is listed on Guinea Lynx is the one I picked, but the specific doctor listed has since left. I live in Manhattan. I currently go to the Avian and Exotic Medicine place. I took my rat to St. Mark's, but it doesn't get very good reviews. I am just really at a loss how to find a good place.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Are you able to find out where the specific vet went? Otherwise I'd call around and talk to the staff about their exotics experience.

There might be members here who can suggest a vet in your area. Another thing you could try would be to post the question on GL.

couchon

Cavy Slave
Board Certified Avian Vets :: | The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine

The vet that is their cavy vet is the second doctor on that page, Alexandra Wilson.

I think what concerned me last time was that they us Revolution for mites rather than the one recommended by GuineaLynx, and they suggested I spay my pig to prevent ovarian cysts (that seems like too much of an invasive surgery just for preventive measures).

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
There's nothing wrong with using Revolution to treat mites. In fact, I think it's quickly becoming the treatment of choice because it's generally a once monthly treatment instead of something you have to do for several weeks in a row.

The notion of spaying a guinea pig to prevent ovarian cysts is not inherently bad, and in fact is something my vets would do, although they likely wouldn't recommend it. There are a couple ways of looking at it - the first is that you can have the surgery as a preventative measure or chance it and if the pig develops cysts later in life face the decision of whether or not to have her spayed at that time. The thought is that by the time they've developed the condition, surgery might really be too risky because of age and some other factors that might not have been a consideration when she was younger and in better health. In any case, as long as they explain these things to you and respect your wishes either way, I don't see that the mere suggestion means they should be written off as good vets.

However, the symptoms you're describing, at least in my eyes, warrant a vet visit sooner than Wednesday. Can you call and see who they recommend if you just can't wait for the days the cavy vets are available? Surely they know of someone in the area who can help out when the situation is urgent.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I will call them and find out!

Are there any signs I should watch her that would mean I need to take her to the emergency room tonight?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If she loses any more weight or if she declines otherwise.

Make sure she's getting enough food and water and be prepared to handfeed if necessary.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I am so confused! I came back from work, and my pig was back at her normal weight. She also ate all her veggies...

Was it just the heat? I don't understand...

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Get into a routine of weighing her at the same time of day. It's the only way to gauge whether or not she's losing or gaining.

couchon

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all your advice, Paula! I think my scale is just not working properly (if you push down on it, it doesn't always go back to 0, etc.). I just bought it, so I thought it would work, but I will go out and buy a digital one as soon as possible. My piggie also ate her veggies last night and this morning :)

I am still keeping a really close eye on her, as I have some concerns and am kind of in a stand-by mode.

One final question, is any eye crust OK? I mean, it's a miniscule amout (size of a spec), and it's not every day, but I see it some times. Is some normal, or should this be a cause for concer?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It can be a cause of concern if there are other symptoms.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.