Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I just joined today! Merry Christmas everyone!

pixswirl

Cavy Slave
:love: Hiya! I am Britt, I just joined today! I am 22, I have two lovely piggies
One female, named Cuddles, and one male called Crouch! I love them so much, I have no idea why I didn't buy them sooner!:)

I am married to a man named David and we live in NY for now...he is from England I am from here!:love: ...Hope to befriend some of you!:) Take care!

God Bless you and Merry Christmas!

:love:Britt

raynerika

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the Forum Britt.:)

I noticed that you said you have a boy and a girl, are you planning on having babies? Because your female if housed with the male will have litter after litter, as she can get impregnated within hrs. after giving birth.:eek: How old are they? Did you know that males are ready and able to impregnate the female at 3 wks of age? Chances are that your little girl might already be pregnant..
Anyway, I thought this might be helpfull info since you are new to this.

Best of luck to you and your piggers:)

pixswirl

Cavy Slave
Oh...no they cannot have babies, they are both fixed. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

raynerika

Cavy Slave
Oh good deal. I have 2 at this time myself, and plan on getting a new young one in about 3 weeks. I had never had them before, and I have enjoyed them from the very beggining..

Give the little piggers a hug and kiss for me.:)

pixswirl

Cavy Slave
will do ! :) what are your piggie names???I got them two little stockings put two hay cubes in them and they went crazy ! :)

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Hey, welcome to the forums!
Glad to hear your piggies are fixed. Babies are cute but they seem like to much worry for me!
Aw, I bet your pigs loved their Christmas present! My two boys (called Spike and Ozzy) just got a ton of veggies! I might buy them something as a late pressie though. Have you got any photos of them? By the way, I think Cuddles is a really sweet name.

raynerika

Cavy Slave
will do ! :) what are your piggie names???I got them two little stockings put two hay cubes in them and they went crazy ! :)
Well my first 2 piggers were Munchkie & Tickle Bunny, Munchkie passed away in Oct. he was 4 yrs old. Still have Tickle Bunny she also is 4:love: . Then the end of Oct. I got a young little sow (Rascal) of about 3 months old, come to find out she was pregnant, she died this past Wed. trying to give birth, she was way to tiny and her babies really felt big. Both of those deaths really were very hard for me to deal with.:weepy: Then in Nov we got a little boar named Toby, he is now 6 months old and I did have him neutered.. We are planning on getting a little sow from a local breeder in about three weeks from now when she will be ready for adoption.Can't wait!!!
I am enclosing some pigtures.
The first one is of my Munchkie (Brown&White) and Tickle Bunny( White).
2nd: is Rascal, 3rd is Toby.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I saw pictures in another thread and they are simply adorable!

raynerika said:
We are planning on getting a little sow from a local breeder in about three weeks from now when she will be ready for adoption.Can't wait!!!

Sorry this is one of my pet peeves, I just have to adress it. That's called buying. Adopting is when you save a life that is homeless, not one that was bred on purpose.

raynerika

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I saw pictures in another thread and they are simply adorable!

Sorry this is one of my pet peeves, I just have to adress it. That's called buying. Adopting is when you save a life that is homeless, not one that was bred on purpose.
Thank you for the compliment on my pets.
As to you pet peeve, I respect that.
But the one that I am adopting is not going to be paid for, nor will it end up in a petshop and then homeless. So in a roundabout way, I am saving at least one live of a potential homeless and pregnant sow, that might end up dead because she was put in with boars and ended up pregnant due to
some ignorant pet shop owners and their employees,that have not a clue on how to sex the young. Or probably don't care!!!!!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
But the one that I am adopting is not going to be paid for, nor will it end up in a petshop and then homeless. So in a roundabout way, I am saving at least one live of a potential homeless and pregnant sow, that might end up dead because she was put in with boars and ended up pregnant due to
some ignorant pet shop owners and their employees,that have not a clue on how to sex the young. Or probably don't care!!!!!
What you are really doing is helping a breeder dump one of her culls to make more room to breed more.

It's not rescuing. It's not adopting.

raynerika

Cavy Slave
What you are really doing is helping a breeder dump one of her culls to make more room to breed more.

It's not rescuing. It's not adopting.
For every sow that is taken from a breeder is one less reproduction machine for them. A female can only breed for so long and then they either die or get to old. My believe is to get to the source.
There are alot of rescuers that have females that reproduce also, do each and every one of them alter their recues offspring? Highly unlikely due to the extra expense! So the vicious circle continues. Most of the offspring are adopted out also, so when does all this ever end?
I am still going after the SOURCE of the problem.

pixswirl

Cavy Slave
Your white one, Bunny looks like my baby girl, Cuddles :) I would love to get more but where I am staying I cannot. Sometime soon though, I spoil 'em rotten! :)

pixswirl

Cavy Slave
Well my first 2 piggers were Munchkie & Tickle Bunny, Munchkie passed away in Oct. he was 4 yrs old. Still have Tickle Bunny she also is 4:love: . Then the end of Oct. I got a young little sow (Rascal) of about 3 months old, come to find out she was pregnant, she died this past Wed. trying to give birth, she was way to tiny and her babies really felt big. Both of those deaths really were very hard for me to deal with.:weepy: Then in Nov we got a little boar named Toby, he is now 6 months old and I did have him neutered.. We are planning on getting a little sow from a local breeder in about three weeks from now when she will be ready for adoption.Can't wait!!!

awww...I'd be heartbroken too if my babies died :( I love them so much, I treat 'em as my children! You'll have to post a new pic of the sow when you get her :cheerful:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
There are alot of rescuers that have females that reproduce also, do each and every one of them alter their recues offspring? Highly unlikely due to the extra expense! So the vicious circle continues. Most of the offspring are adopted out also, so when does all this ever end?
I am still going after the SOURCE of the problem.

Do you really know "a lot" of rescuers who have pigs that reproduce? Because I'm a rescuer and know/have talked to most of the reputable rescuers on the east coast, and I don't know of any that have any pigs reproducing, unless they come into the rescue already pregnant. We had one sow this year give birth, and she was dumped on us by someone who wanted a "girlfriend" for their pig.

And we do alter a great many of our boars. We prefer not to put the females through the more dangerous spay surgery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.