Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia I HATE stupid strata rules.

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Ok, vent ahead: so we live in Australia in a semi-detached house on a strata of 10 houses that share common walls, a small driveway/road and bins. In England where I'm from this would just be a regular normal street where you just need to be mindful of neighbors but other than basic politeness and responsibility for shared walls there's no big way to interfere with each other.

But in Australia with these stupid over-kill strata rules our 2 guinea pigs & rabbit have been voted on in a strata meeting and banned from being in our house. Which is crazy?? Why in all sense can the mini-Hilter old biddy 3 doors up the road dictate that we keep our furries in hutches outside?????

Of course we will NOT be chucking out little ones outside but now I have to go to the effort of being deceitful for no sane reason. The aforementioned old biddy likes to peer through windows and gates, (I found her rooting through our bin before :eek:hmy:) so I have to make things look 'in keeping' with their decision. Pretty sure we just have animal haters being difficult for the sake of being spiteful but man, strata is the pits, I much prefer the UK where it doesn't exist.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't know the laws in regards to strata properties in NSW very well, but in QLD there's a Government body that deals with disputes with body corporate committee decisions, and *good reasons* must be provided why they vote no to anything. In QLD they pretty much legally can't stop you from keeping pets unless they bother other people in your complex (barking dogs, cat poop in the gardens etc.). This document might help you: https://www.lawsociety.com.au/cs/groups/public/documents/internetyounglawyers/027213.pdf Good luck!

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
That is very interesting! I will definitely be looking into that, thank you.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
its sounds totally pathetic that someone is so against you have a few small caged animals in your house!
im finding it very hard to rent a place in England that accepts animals. I keep getting told small animals are ok as long as they are kept outside... im like uhuh...

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wow.... That sucks. It's probably the mindset that pets belong outdoors. I think Australia needs more animals rights groups to set everyone straight on the needs of small pets... We have convenants here where you know ahead of time whether pets are allowed and municipal restrictions on the number of pets but I've never heard of any place where you come in with them and they can get voted out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.