Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I don't get him.

guinealovee

Cavy Slave
So we got a guinea pig a couple months ago and its 4 years old. We got Pudgy from a family that listed him on craigslist becuase they were moving. Well he's very grouchy and always chatters his teeth when I try to catch him to play with him and he hates laptime. I don't get it, we give him veggies everyday and spot clean everyday but he's just grouchy all the time. We used to have 3 other guineas like a year ago and they were very happy and nice and would come up to us if we went to the cage. We also gave Pudgy a cage 8 times the old one he had. He popcorns sometimes but doesn't like us touching him or anything. I have a picture of his cage in my gallery.

Give him time! Dont get angry with him and dont let the atmosphere around him be scary/angry/sad! Hand feed him some veggies but remember he is a prey animal and quite possibly will always run when you try to pick him up.

One of my boys, York, is just like that. He's very friendly up until I try to pick him up... then he chatters his teeth and turns into a grouchy ol' meany.

I don't think he has mites because he doesn't seem to be itchy or have any bald spots. I guess he just needs more time.

I just looked at your picture of the cage, it looks great, I can't believe the poor thing spent 4 years in that tiny cage! I have a few suggestions, please don't take them the wrong way. You could possibly try adding a few more hideys /boxes for him to escape under and a few toys for him to play with. Also try placing the cage on a table or stand so that you don't appear as big to your piggy as when his cage is on the floor. Well done to you for helping this poor thing.

Pudgy sounds like some people I know. I have found it very interesting about my pigs that they each have such different and pronounced personalities. But they are endlessly fascinating. Hopefully he will warm up to you with time. Or he may just be a crotchety old thing. I know that would be disappointing if you want a pet to cuddle up and love on.

Trying bringing blankets or a cuddly cozie out turning laptime for him. That alway cheers my pig!

That may just be his personality. I hope it doesn't stop you loving him just because he's a crotchity old man.

guinealovee, when you say you want to play with him during lap time, what do you mean?

Well he's very grouchy and always chatters his teeth when I try to catch him to play with him and he hates laptime. I don't get it, we give him veggies everyday and spot clean everyday but he's just grouchy all the time. We used to have 3 other guineas like a year ago and they were very happy and nice and would come up to us if we went to the cage. We also gave Pudgy a cage 8 times the old one he had. He popcorns sometimes but doesn't like us touching him or anything.
We've had piggies like that, too. We've also had piggies who could not get enough attention. Just like people, they all have their own personality.

We do this with all of our babies, but it works good with the new rescues who are nervous and very scared . We keep our hands in their cage as much as possible. Simply doing things like cleaning up poos, straightening cuddle cups, adding a handful of hay, or just pretending to be doing something - all the while talking to them in a calm, quiet, soothing, voice. We don't try to touch them or pick them up. Eventually, they get used to your hands and voice and aren't as stressed.

Not to be nosy, but what happened to the three piggies you had a year ago? I hope it's not bad news.

Another thing that may work (it does with ours) is to tie a fleece baby blanket to the grids, making a little tent. Just tie two ends to the bars of the grids about 5 grids up, and about 8-9 grids apart. When the piggy is in the tent, give him little massages through the fleece. The piggy feels safe because he's hiding, but he will love the feeling of being rubbed while he's in his blankie. Once again, talk to him in a quiet, soothing voice.

Thanks for all the help. I have ordered a cuddle cup (hope it's on it's way). I'll try getting my hands in his cage as much as possible and talking calmly! I'll also try to find some more toys oh and another hidey.

Most of my boys love to cuddle and let me pet them with no trouble. But I have one boy that when I try to pick him up from cage he kind of goes limp like he's passing out, but he's awake. If you put him back in cage or down from floor time, he runs off like normal. My mom laughs and says he acts like one of those fainting goats, that faint when scared. He'll let me hold and pet him, but he's really antsy like he's thinking, hurry up and get this over with.

Most of my boys love to cuddle and let me pet them with no trouble. But I have one boy that when I try to pick him up from cage he kind of goes limp like he's passing out, but he's awake. If you put him back in cage or down from floor time, he runs off like normal. My mom laughs and says he acts like one of those fainting goats, that faint when scared. He'll let me hold and pet him, but he's really antsy like he's thinking, hurry up and get this over with.

lol That's cute and funny!
Well I have set up a hidey/blanket tent, not much but I'm still looking for things to entertain him and I was talking to him and petting him while he was in his cage earlier. :eek:

Your new pig maybe was handled roughly by young children (or adults) in the past, and he may always be frightened to be picked up or held. Some pigs never enjoy cuddling or petting. I think getting him used to your hands in the cage (like mentioned above) is a great idea, and maybe learn to enjoy him as a "homebody" piggy instead of a cuddle pig. Try to see if you can get him to take bits of veggies from your hand (over time).

Just a note too...sometimes pigs have mites without showing any symptoms of excessive scratching or hairloss. As a precaution, I would treat everyone and just see if it makes a difference. Remember that it takes 3 treatments (7 days apart) to really irradicate mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.