Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I came home to find my daughters little munchkin dead....

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
Snow White was my daughters pig and we only got her a couple of months ago. She was 2 months old when we got her and she hasn't grown any at all. I weighed her last night and she weighed 352g compared to my 763g pig and 752g pig. I don't know what happened, she was fine this morning and we got back and she was just laying in the cage dead. I buried her in a flower burp cloth (thick) that belonged to my daughter and hopefully nothing tries to dig her up. I feel so bad for my little girl, she's so upset that her pig is dead.

You named the pig Snow White, was the pig all white by any chance? The low weight and sudden early death indicates Snow White may have been a lethal pig, and they don't usually survive very long, especially if someone's unaware of the special care they need. They can die young even with special care though, from internal issues that no one can do anything about. But by no means is this your fault, whoever you got her off should have told you, you were clearly amazing guinea parents.

It's unfortunate your daughters having to go through this, children and their pets can have such special bonds. How old is your little girl? If I were you, I'd encourage her to let out how she's feeling, but also make sure she still spends time with your two remaining pigs. I feel it's important that when we loose a pet, we make sure the care we would have given them isn't wasted, and is given to another animal who will appreciate it just as much.

Snow White's popcorning free at the rainbow bridge now, eating all the veggies and hay she can.

Aww I am so sorry. Run free at the rainbow bridge little one.

So sorry to hear Snow White has died.

So sorry for your loss. Rip Snow White

Sorry for your loss. RIP Snow White.

So sorry to hear about Snow White

I'm very sorry for your loss, RIP little Snow White.

@Princess_Piggie - Snow White had a black patch on her (picture in another thread) so she was for sure not a lethal white.
@byccumwho - So sorry to hear about Snow White, by the sounds of it she didn't have the best life start to life but thanks to you she was shown what it is like to be loved. Hope you all are doing okay.

I'm so sorry about Snow White. :(

Thank you, everyone. My daughter is 3 but she loved that pig with all she had. She always had Snow out sitting on her lap while she watched tv and petting her. She didn't hold her at all yesterday.

I thought maybe the same thing, that maybe she was a lethal. But, she did have the black patch on her eyes and a full set of teeth (I checked when I learned about Lethals because she was so tiny. ) I guess I'll never know what happened but I still feel so sad for her and my daughter. I'm very scared for this batch of babies from Ranger and Cora because I'm sure they're inbred and I really hope there are no lethals .I swear, these poor pigs... what a mess.

Also, I lost a son about 6 years ago, so I'm sure Snow White is up there keeping him company. She was a sweetheart. I miss her to pieces. I didn't have her for very long but I still loved her.

I'm so sorry for your losses. If she had a black patch on her eye, she wasn't a lethal but due to her small size, she probably had some sort of hidden problem that led to her death. Life can be really tough sometimes. I'm glad you have this forum to share your sad news and get feedback from others who understand. My thoughts and prayers are with you.....

Thank you so much. I'm glad I found this forum. I never knew how much care, space etc for pigs so this is great informative place. I'm glad I'm able to give my pigs the proper happy life they deserve with your guys' help.

Sorry for your loss. One thing that we always did when I was growing up (and a tradition I keep on to this day) was when an animal would pass away we would donate to a shelter/rescue in honor of that animal. When my guinea pig Odette passed away last week, I donated a bag of Oxbow to a local no-kill private shelter that has 5 guinea pigs at the moment. It does make you feel a little better to know that you're making a difference in other animals lives in honor of one that you lost.

What a great idea!! I think I'll do that on Friday! Thanks!

so sorry this has happened
poor little thing...
my heart goes out to you and your family.
xoxo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.