Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I am new and I have some questions

Meggie

Cavy Slave
My name is Meghan. I am new to this web site. I am going to get a guinea pig when I get a summer job but there are a couple of problems with it. When I get my guinea pig it's going to interfere with my family's vacation and my parents say that I can't take a pet along. And also, if I get a guinea pig I am going to have to givve it a lot of attention and it may only get attention like once a day which I don't think is enough for one guinea pig. And my last problem is that I only have a place for two pets and I was planning on getting three pets so I might have a bit of a dilema. If osmebody could give me osme advice on what to do about these problems I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
If you can't build or buy a C&C cage, you should get the other 2 instead. There is a place on here where you can see where you can get the supplies in your area.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Hi Meghan!
It's great that you're thinking about all these things before actually getting your pet. These are all important issues to consider, and you have to ask yourself if now is really the right time to get a guinea pig. Guinea pigs are intelligent, social animals and they need lots of attention. Other things to think about are that you really should get two (same sex) pigs so that they have each other for company, and that these animals can be a lot of work. They also need quite a bit of space to live in so that they can exercise and play.
If you're really serious and ready to take on this responsibility, you should do your research first, and look into rescuing a homeless guinea pig instead of going to a petstore.
If you decide now is not the right time to get a guinea pig, maybe you could volunteer at a shelter in order to be around animals more (I'm assuming you're an animal lover, and a lot of shelters do have homeless guinea pigs, as well as cats and dogs).
I'm sure you'll do the right thing :)
Tere

Meggie

Cavy Slave
Well no offense but I think that hamsters and gerbils are probably cleaner because they groom themselves but I really want a guinea pig too because at least with a guinea pig I can groom its fur for him/her. I guess I could try Target but I don't know if they'll have the supplies for making a C&C cage. I guess there's no reason not to try.

Meggie

Cavy Slave
I am thinking about getting a guinea pig but I don't think there are any animal shelters near where I live because I live way far away from animal shelters. Is there a link that I could check out to try and find a guinea pig near me?

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs groom themselves, too. Target has the cubes for cheap. They are things that you use for making shelves, but have more than 1 use.

If it doesn't get attention, you should get it a friend.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
When I get my guinea pig it's going to interfere with my family's vacation and my parents say that I can't take a pet along.
You MUST have someone else come over and feed him/her, guinea pigs require at least 1 cup of vegies each each day. And guinea pigs NEED a friend of the same species, yes lap time is great, but they need another guinea pig friend.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could get a pig-sitter or something. Maybe one of your neighbors can take care of your pigs while you're away.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
What general area are you in? Unless you're getting a long-hair pig, they don't need that much grooming. You will need a pair so they can keep each other company.

What other pets were you considering?

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Target but I don't know if they'll have the supplies for making a C&C cage.
They will not, they will have grids but not coroplast you will have to go to a sign store to get that.

I don't think there are any animal shelters near where I live
You can check Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, please don't breed or buy while animals in shelters die.

Also you mention a summer job, you will probably need your parents help in caring for a guinea pig, they are not cheap animals, they need a big cage, that requires bedding, they need 1 cup of veggies each, each day, high quality pellets, and possible vet care in an emergency.

Meggie

Cavy Slave
I found a guinea pig already. I am going to see if there are more at that place though.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I found a guinea pig already. I am going to see if there are more at that place though.

If it's a rescue, they probably have tons, depending on your location.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Why don't you just wait until after you family vacation to get one? I'm sure there will still be more guinea pigs up for adoption, and maybe you'll find one later on which you will totally love. I waited... wow, about 5 months until I could get my hands on one that needed a new home. I feel good that I waited and got almost everything ready before getting one.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Where did you 'find' one?

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I got one from a place where I'd left my number, and she came along with 3 newborn babies. I'm sorry if I wrote it incorrectly, but English isn't my first language. I meant that I acquired one who was abandoned after looking around everywhere for 5 months.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
fashion victim, I believe she was referring to the post thats two above yours.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I think Meggie might've found it on Petfinder. She had told me that she found one, and that she was searching there. You'll have to wait until she replies.

Meggie

Cavy Slave
I found a guinea pig up in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It is a really cute guinea pig. I found it on Petfinder because I was looking really hard for all shapes and sized guinea pigs. My parents aren't so thrilled about me getting a guinea pig or two, I don''t know yet how many I should get, but anyway, my parents say that guinea pigs only last up to 8 years. I really want a guinea pig before my family's vacation because then I can just have someone take care of my animals but it would have to be someone who has had experience with them. My mom says that guinea pigs look like rodents but I think she's wrong. My dad hates all animals and me I love all animals on Earth. I feel so proud of myself because I am going to get a summer job hopefully so I can earn enough money for 4 animals because I am getting 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, and 1 gerbil. I hope people can help me out with care for guinea pigs.

Am I allowed to post a link to a forum?lol

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
You should really get 2 guinea pigs. Maybe 1 adult and 1 really small one.

Meggie

Cavy Slave
You should really get 2 guinea pigs. Maybe 1 adult and 1 really small one.

Why don't I get one Adult and one young guinea pig? Young guinea pigs I think are a little bit smaller then an Adult guinea pig. I don't know for sure though. My mom is still being a pain about why she thinks guinea pigs look like rodents.She keeps beating the dead horse as she would say. My dad doesn't really care if I get guinea pigs or not. I can't wait until I get a summer job because then I can get my first pets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.