Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hurricane Gustov

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I just wanted to let all you fine folks know that my family, rescue and animals are all evacuating in the face of hurricane Gustov. We will be leaving in the middle of the night tonight.

Gustov should hit west of New Orleans but it's still much too close for comfort and the track keeps switching back and forth. Even if it hits where predicted we will be on the weather side" of the storm. While we probably won't get hurricane strength winds we will get category 3 storm surge which can put the city under water again.

I will be trying to keep people updated as much as possible during our evacuation. I expect my updates will mostly take place on my (broken link removed) as well as on my LiveJournal and MySpace Pages You can check in and get the latest updates there if time and weather allow me to post.

Keep the city of New Orleans, it's people and animals in your thoughts and prayers.

See y'all later.

Safe travels VJ

Take care and be safe. Please let us know how you are doing and where you land for the evac period. Hold your babies close. Best wishes.

We're prepping for Gustov as well. I'm about three hours south of Shreveport and while most of us aren't expecting it to hit, we said the same of Rita and ended up with out water, food, electricity or gas for two weeks.

I ended up buying Kaytee pellets to hold my pigs over. I'm completely out of KM and it's not expected until Wednesday, probably not even then because of the storm. I know it's a crappy pellet, but I need to ensure Vitamin C intake and they've been a bit prissy about eating their bell peppers lately. Plus they've been acting as if I haven't fed them for a week since they ate up all their pellets!

I've stocked up on veggies, but I don't know how long they'll last without power, if we loose power. We've bought a generator and window AC unit to hook up in one of the bedrooms to save the piggies and dogs from heat stroke. So at least my biggest worry is put aside.

Good luck VJ and everyone else who's about to experience the lovely storm Gustov. :sarcastic Just when we thought we might get out of the season without a hurricane!

Oh Goodness, please stay safe all. Rita hitting Lake Charles was what sealed the deal for moving out of that region as soon as possible for us. Evacuation can be so traumatizing on all involved. My thoughts and prayers with you. *hugs*

I figured you would be evacuating. Stay safe. I sure hope Gustov is not as bad as it looks.

Best of luck VJ & Haley - stay safe!

Dang VJ! Maybe I should have mentioned it sooner? Haha! I was just going to go without pellets, but my parents convinced me I should have some sort of back up in case worse comes to worst.

I've had the disaster sheet printed out since I first realized it was coming for us. I've been studying it for the last few days so I think I've got as much covered as I possibly can. -fingers crossed-

Best of luck! I hope your evac goes quikly and safley. You will be in my prayers!

Good luck VJ, Haley and anyone else..out thoughts and prayers are with NO and the rest of the gulf coast. I'm also praying that animals aren't left behind again.

Good luck Haley and VJ. My thoughts are out there...lets hope Gustov stays quiet. I hope you, your family and your pigs stay safe.

I'm also praying that animals aren't left behind again.
It's already too late for that. Idiots all over the city are releasing their animals into the streets. I've already gotten many MANY reports of dogs wandering loose. I even saw a woman on the news admit that she let her dog go..

Sadly there is nothing I can do. Our vans are full to overflowing and all of the shelters are closed and the animals evacuated. We did take in two kittens this morning that someone who's staying said she couldn't afford to feed. We offered them plenty of food, water and other supplies but "they just couldn't keep the kittens". I wanted to punch her.

The kittens are safely ensconced in the French Quarter with friends and helpers of the rescue. They are staying in their petstore with numerous cats and kittens that they are fostering and are prepared to evacuate them all if things go badly.

The animal situation will be bad when I return and our rescue efforts will be tripled and our expenses insane as we try to round up the animals, treat their wounds and illnesses, bring them back from starvation and try to reunited them with their families or adopt them out.

that is sad that people are letting their animals go! I hope everything goes really well and you are able to help as many of the animals as possible with as little money as possible! I can't believe that people are letting their pets out into the streets just because of a hurricane! That is unbelievable! My prayers are with you!

That is horrible! :( I read earlier that even in Lake Charles they have vans running to evacuate animals to stay in the same shelters their owners would be in.

That is so sad. When I was four we had to be evacuated due to flood. They left our cat behind (the army didn't let us look for him we lived in the country and he was off hunting we think). The next day my Dad managed to get transport back home through the flood waters to go and get him. Luckily he was sitting on the back step with his tail in the water waiting to be picked up. I know that evacuation can be traumatic and I am glad you are able to get out early. We didn't have that option as the main river was being monitored the creeks and streams weren't and we ended up being cut off as the bridges over them were flooded.

I cannot imagine ever leaving any animals behind in a natural disaster! Our animals are part of our family and My partner and I even refur to ourselves as their Mum and Dad. To us it would be like leaving a child behind.

I hope that the evacution goes well and that any animals left to fend for themselves are OK at the end of this.

Last edited:
It makes me so sad and sick to my stomach to think that the animals are going to suffer again..I had hoped people had learned from Katrina and had evacuation plans for their animals. Leaving them alone and letting them loose are not evacuation plans..those poor poor babies.
I cried so much and felt so helpless after katrina. I am in CA now but grew up in Florida, Lousiana and Mississippi and I hate being all the way out here unable to physically help the animals. VJ thanks for all that you are doing to help the fur babies. Stay Safe.

Same here, it really upsets me to think that people would let their animals loose to fend for themselves in the midst of a hurricane. It really does make me want to go out and find the people that do leave their animals and shake some sense into their heads. I mean really, what are people thinking. If people cant defend themselves from a hurricane than neither can their defenseless animals.

Hayley0489-Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes down there. I have two cousins down in college near the french quarter is where they live. I know my uncle wants them to transfer to a less hurricane prone college/state. It must be so hard to have to worry all the time about them kind of disasters striking. I know that anything can happen anywhere, anytime. Im glad that you are all stocked up and ready to go in case of the gustov being bad. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I added your family dogs, and piggies to our prayer list at our church. I hope all goes well.:)

That is so sad. When I was four we had to be evacuated due to flood. They left our cat behind (the army didn't let us look for him we lived in the country and he was off hunting we think). The next day my Dad managed to get transport back home through the flood waters to go and get him. Luckily he was sitting on the back step with his tail in the water waiting to be picked up. I know that evacuation can be traumatic and I am glad you are able to get out early. We didn't have that option as the main river was being monitored the creeks and streams weren't and we ended up being cut off as the bridges over them were flooded.

I cannot imagine ever leaving any animals behind in a natural disaster! Our animals are part of our family and My partner and I even refur to ourselves as their Mum and Dad. To us it would be like leaving a child behind.

I hope that the evacution goes well and that any animals left to fend for themselves are OK at the end of this.

I'm only a certian unmentionable age, and I refer to myself as my animals' Mother! I know I'm like at least 5 years away from being old enough to morally have a child, but for those of you that have children, thats how I feel about my animals.

Yes, exactly. How can people just dump their animals so senselesly?(sp?) I guess they just don't care enough about them like all of us here do about our own.....I'd like to punch them too, VJ!!! There are so many heartbreaking books about Katrina pets in Barnes & Noble, and even though those are just books.....you would think people who moved back after Katrina would've learned the first time. I can't figure some people out sometimes, you know?
I live all the way in Asheville, North Carolina, and we dealed with many Katrina pet victims. My very own friend in "institute of learning" adopted one of her dogs from a local rescue, and that was a Katrina dog.

I would like to say that that VJ and Haley, and everyone else affected by Gustov, have my blessings. God bless you all, and all of your animals. I feel so horrible, almost guilty, living here in drought-stricken Asheville. I wish I could help! I wish some of the strength could be suctioned out of Gustov, and released into Asheville, enough to pull us out of and over our drought. And enough to lessen Gustov's severity. I think I'm going to seriously look into volunteering at whichever local shelter here is planning on taking in any possible victims of Gustov, like they did w/ Katrina.
I'm going to see if I can get in contact w/ this monestary(sp?) of monks (its called something like "The Abbey of Gethsamine", and its in Kentucky somewhere) that my dad goes to, and see if they will include you two, and the whole area of people and animals that will possibly be affected by Gustov, in their daily prayers. They're doing that for Poppy (my grandfather), because he's in hospice/palliative care at his health care center at this retirement community becuase of, well, a loooooong story.

I used to say prayers every night before I went to sleep, and now I will do it again. My eyes are tearing up as I type, and I'm practically crying. I will pray to God, and ask him to spare this poor city of yet another disaster. I will ask him to spare the lives of all the innocent piggies, all other animals, and all the people, and that maybe since no one here can punch the people who abandoned their animals, maybe he can do one of those "God works in mysterious ways" things, and sort of teach them a lesson somehow.

If you are reading this forum right now, dear Lord and Jesus, please don't let this happen. Please read all the posts, and see what wonderful people and guinea pigs they all are. Please protect everyone. I hope they can read this thread. I am sooooo crying right now, l o l :weepy:

I saw a video on youtube about Al Gore's global warming video, and according to him, the recent increase in hurricanes is one of the effects of global warming. He showed a map w/ land areas gradually disapearing, and being replaced w/ water. I mean, thats only one man's theory, but I will ask God to please don't let this global warming happen any longer! Lord, please help the inconsiderate beings on earth be more green, so we can stop this hurricane brewer in its tracks!!

I think thats all for now, I have to get to bed, its 12:30 am xD. VJ, I can be very hot headed sometimes. Believe it or not, I know. But I want you to relaize that underneath all my hot-headedness and opinionatedness(i just made a new word! ), I am so sentimental, its really like a psychological problem or something. I can't watch those ASPCA commercials w/Sara McLachlan's "Angel" song on it, because I'll cry, and just feel like a sudden wave of sadness wash over me. I can't stand anything like that, it makes me cry, and feel horrible. I am such a nice person, but sometimes people like you don't get to see that side of me becuase its hidden under my argumentative shell. And when I just think of those poor animals that will have to suffer.....its breaks me down like an 18-wheeler ran over me. I'm good at bottling emotions up, but stick something like this into the mix, and the bottle is smashed, and the contents pour out onto everything. I want to wish you the best of luck. I hope to God you will come out of this all right, and so will your piggies, and all your animals. You have to stay strong for all of those fuzzbutts, and for yourself, most of all. Please be safe. I know God is watching over you.
And the same goes for Haley too! Please be safe, and you are also of course in my every prayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.