Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Hunting for NON-lucerne pellets in Australia

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Does anyone living in Australia have advice on where to buy decent grass hay pellets? (Ie. that aren't lucerne / alfafa).

I moved over to Sydney from the UK a few years back but I've only had Aussie guineas this past year. Since I got my first girl it has been like the hunt for the Holy Grail to find good hay / food for them. I foolishly thought there'd be a similar choice to what I was used to in the UK but sadly the options here seem very limited.

I've found I can buy Meadow hay (of variable quality) from Petbiz but after months of seaching the only timothy hay pellet I've found is the Oxbow brand - $40 a 2.25kg bag and stocked by a vet.

I have asked every pet store I can think of for information on where I might find a timothy hay pellet and they either act like I'm talking a foreign languge or get offended I don't want their lucerne.

Anyone else in this situation? Any Aussies know a place to buy good guinea food that won't send me broke? Please share your wisdom!

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Just an update for anyone buying Oxbow Cavy Cuisine like I am in north Sydney: there's a huge diff. in the price depending on which vet you buy from.

Northshore vet (in crows nest) is selling at $37.40
Forest vet (in forestville) is selling at $18.10
Northern Districts vet (in Dee Why) is selling at $27.95
& it's $40 off E-bay!

Not sure why the price is varying so much but that's what I've discovered to date.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.