Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training How To Toilet Train Guinea Pigs

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
Hi I was wondering how on earth do you toilet train guinea pigs? If this is possible I would save so much time cleaning leaving more time to spend with little girls.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Trixie and Pluto are the piggies of mine that are 'litter trained', I never trained them as none of my other piggies are so I didn't find any point.

I tried to train my boys for about 5 months to be litter trained, It didn't work. Some pigs can be litter trained, other won't having anything to do with the idea; the most common is the second one.

I'm not help with how to, as It failed with my boys! Trixie and Pluto were such angels but there's not point as the others poo everywhere so they might as well! :p

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can encourage them to go in a certain spot by keeping their hay, food dishes and water bottles in the same area. They poop the most after eating so it will be more contained in that area. I use hay bins in my cages and one guinea pigs insisted on jumping in there to do her business. I removed the bin and put the hay on a smaller piece of fleece in that corner. The majority of poop is there now. I don't care for "kitchens" because it's another section to maintain so the fleece piece works well for me. I just shake it out and replace daily and wash it with my other fleece.

Rayven105

Cavy Slave
My babies are 2 months old (I've had them less than a week). Their cage is 2x4 fleece lined with a 1x2 kitchen loft that has a removable Carefresh kitchen. Since moving
their food and water dishes upstairs to the kitchen on day 3, I have had to maybe sweep up 10 poops in the mornings and another 10 poops in the evenings. They do almost all their pooping up in the kitchen. They do pee in their hidy houses but I put fleece pads underneath so I can change them out every few days. I'm no expert obviously but I am thinking that having the upper kitchen really helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.