Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How to keep hay off the floor?

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I'm having trouble finding a good way to keep the hay off the fleece but still accessible for the pigs. I was using some kind of bowl thing, but the pigs are getting bigger now and they like to dive in it and knock all of the hay onto the ground. Once it hits the ground for long enough, they refuse to eat it. I wake up every morning to pretty much all of the hay on the fleece and the poor pigs wheeking for new stuff.

I've tried using a bent grid in the corner of the cage, like I've seen many do here, but Bentley has a really hard time actually pulling any hay out.

I'm getting sick of wasting hay and spending so much time cleaning it off their fleece. Has anyone had any luck with other methods that they'd like to share? Pictures, maybe?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
LOVING LOVING LOVING my hay bags. I just made two of them one for my chinchilla and one for the piggies. It really cuts down on the mess. I made mine but you can also buy them pre made.

This is the one I made for my piggies:
941862_10202134941352200_40797560_n.jpg

they still get it on the floor but it's a lot less messy.

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
I've always been super skeptical of those bags. Can the pigs get at the hay easily? I've always thought they'd be hard to eat from.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You need a kitchen area. Use pine pellets or yesterday's news as litter. That's the only way I have found to fix the problem.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I don't know about other bags but I put the openings low to the bottom and made the bag pretty tall so that I could fold it over and binder clip it to the cage or use the holes and clips. They have the best time pulling the hay out of the bag. They all took to it no problem. I don't see a difference between pulling it thru a grid square or a fabric square... know what I mean?

Kristine

Cavy Slave
I use a kitchen and just pile it in there. They climb on it and burrow under it. They love it. I've used hay bags too but got tired of refilling them constantly. Lol

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
@Kristine I would just pile it in my kitchen area but they won't eat it! It's frustrating.

@Traysea I might have to try it then. One of my boars cannot pull it through the grids, so idk if he'll be able to use the bah, but I have to try something new.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use cereal or tissue box to stuff hay in. Cut a hole big enough for your pigs.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
I would say that your piggy might have an easier time, because fabric has give in it, but grids do not. :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I use a box large enough for a few pigs and line with newspaper and pile with hay. They usually just jump right in. In some cages I use a large litter box as a kitchen area, with a hay manger.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
100_9195.jpg
This is how I decided to handle the hay. I, too, didn't want it all over the fleece. The bin contains the hay. The bridge is there to catch any that is stuck to them. And what little hay doesn't get caught by the bridge, ends up on just that small upper level of fleece. This keeps the main level hay-free.

I should say, though, that I add new hay about 3 times per day. I don't worry about waste since I already buy the hay by the bale for my rabbits. (You mentioned that yours may not eat hay in the bin. Mine won't either IF I don't refresh it multiple times per day.) That's the advantage of this set up. They won't eat the hay if it's trampled or soiled. They love to eat it whenever it is refreshed.

I did make one adjustment this past week. The water was sloshing since the table is shaky, so I put the plastic tray under the food and water dish.
100_9238.jpg

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
I think this is a good idea for 1 or 2 pigs. I have 6 so am still looking for a way to keep hay from going all over the place.

Triksey

Cavy Slave
our big cage has three kitchen areas upstairs connected with catwalks... two have cereal/juice boxes and one has a pile of hay...it keeps the hay from messing up the fleece downstairs...part of the fun is playing in the hay boxes...two of the girls love to burrow and munch in the pile area... changing the upstairs design again next weekend, will post a pic on 'let's see your cage pictures'...100_1321.jpg

QusieQ

Cavy Slave
I just use a corner hay loft above a litter pan. Hardly any hay on my fleece with three pigs :)

Attachments

image.jpg

Razzle

Cavy Slave
IMG_0300group.jpgIMG_0252.jpgIMG_0304.jpgThis kitchen is the very best thing in a long time (except for learning to buy hay by the bale) that I have managed to due after reading about it via this great site. The third picture is a "fresh start" with new paper and the first offer of hay. This is so great because I just roll up that newspaper with all that stomped on and discarded hay with poop and pee and clean the kitchen and put new paper down and start with fresh hay. I add hay all day because, as you know, only a particular strand of hay works???? They are just a kick. And this gave an opportunity to show pictures. And the red Peruvian is my Lucy who is the "peacekeeper" of the herd. All five fit nicely at one time. And there is a lot of waste but since I buy by the bale it does not bother me like it used to.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I just use cardboard boxes and cut a hole on the side big enough that both girls can fit. Then put hay in the bottom, hardly any hay on the fleece....

bishang

Cavy Slave
Excuse the dirty cage, about to clean it xD

What I use is a case to some bed sheets I bought at Target. I cut a piece of coroplast and stuck it in the bottom. My guinea pig won't chew on the fabric and I haven't encountered any fraying. Some hay still gets on the fleece though. But not a lot.

20131117_132101.jpg

Traysea

Cavy Slave
that's a fabulous idea!

Excuse the dirty cage, about to clean it xD

What I use is a case to some bed sheets I bought at Target. I cut a piece of coroplast and stuck it in the bottom. My guinea pig won't chew on the fabric and I haven't encountered any fraying. Some hay still gets on the fleece though. But not a lot.

View attachment 57634

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
I've had the same issue and have tried SO many things! We've finally settled on a hay bag (like the first person responded) AND a kitchen area where we use Carefresh. That way any loose hay stays in the kitchen, they potty more on the Carefresh than the fleece, and it's super easy to clean!

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
I've had the same issue and have tried SO many things! We've finally settled on a hay bag (like the first person responded) AND a kitchen area where we use Carefresh. That way any loose hay stays in the kitchen, they potty more on the Carefresh than the fleece, and it's super easy to clean!

Oh, and our hidey pig LOVES to hid behind the hay bag, so that's an added bonus for him hehe

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.