Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How to introduce vegetables to rescue piggie that has never had any?

• Thread starter Simpsonspiggie8
  • Start date

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
hi guys,
I just adopted a guinea pig from a rescue group and the people at the rescue group told me that they had just gotten her in 2 days ago and the owner that surrendered her never gave her timothy hay, just other mixed hays that probably weren't great and also carrots. So for the first 2 years of her life she only got strange hay and carrots . What is the best way to introduce pellets and vegetables to her diet I don't want to cause her problems by introducing stuff to her too fast does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks!

mjalred

Cavy Slave
Wait, so she does eat hay? I would say keep feeding her hay and slowly add pellets and small amounts of veggies and carrots inside the hay, so maybe she'll try it?

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
she has been on timothy hay for the past 2 days at the rescue and is eating that now but how should I introduce new vegetables ? what type of veggie should I give first? I don't want to hurt her or cause her to go into stasis or get diarrhea.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
I just fed her the leafy part of a piece of romaine lettuce is that too Much or too Little?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
@bpatters sorry if this is a stupid question but , what are the stickies at the tops of the forums? Ive never heard of those!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you click on the Forum tab at the top of the page, you'll see a list of all the forums on this site -- About Guinea Pigs, Medical and Veterinary, etc. If you click on one of them, there will be threads at the top that are "stuck" because they have important content. They don't drop down the list as others are added the way regular posts do.

Take a look. You'll learn a lot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.