Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to deal with hay allergies?

• Thread starter GuineaPigMama89
  • Start date

GuineaPigMama89

Cavy Gazer
I've been sneezing and had a runny nose since I got my guinea pigs yesterday. I also noticed I have to use my rescue inhaler more often. I've tried taking Benadryl but it hasn't helped. What is a good remedy for really bad allergies? I think it's the hay and not the pigs themselves because I don't get itchy when I hold them or when their nails scratch me. Is this something I should see my doctor for? I am absolutely not giving up my piggies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Either clean the cage well, or preferably, get someone else to do it for you, and bathe the pigs. Get some orchard or meadow grass and see if that makes a difference. Timothy is the hay most likely to cause allergic reactions.

GuineaPigMama89

Cavy Gazer
Either clean the cage well, or preferably, get someone else to do it for you, and bathe the pigs. Get some orchard or meadow grass and see if that makes a difference. Timothy is the hay most likely to cause allergic reactions.

Thanks so much!

katkor03

Cavy Slave
I take a daily zyrtec. That usually works as I face the same issue with the hay. I tried Orchard grass, but it always seems to be the hay dust that gets me. Taking a daily benadryl isn't recommended for long term use.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.