Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

how many water bottles?

Vixen

Cavy Slave
Okay, so when it comes to water bottles, I STINK at picking them out, my 2 females came with 1 and im still using it. Even though it drips. I've made it so atleat I have a bowl to catch it. I was looking into getting another piggy, and im worried maybe 1 bottle wouldn't be enough? My 2 don't fight over it. They have regular times they eat together but when one is eatting 1 drinks and its a pretty efficiant system.

I really would hate to have a 3rd piggy and have it have to wait for water. but I really don;t want to go through the hassle of trying to get another bottle (so expensive for crappy ones) and tryign to figure out how to get it not to leak and stuff like that.

So my question basically: How many water bottles are recomended for 3 piggys in a 4 by 5 cage with only 1 level.

and IF i need a 2nd one. please post GOOD ones that are perferablly under like 8 bucks. Although even if they are the best bottle in the world i probably wouldn't be able to make it work properly.

( have tried other bottles with no success taken them all about ~10 bottles, the one they came with still seems like the best bet)

I usually go with the rule of 1 Water bottle PER pig on a single level.
And make sure additional water bottles are added per level and an appropriate amount for the size of the level.
So with your situation I'd go with 3 water bottles. Maybe one each end and one in the middle. I've found most leaked. If you find one that does not let me know lol.

With all the hides I have in my cage I don't think i could fit 3 in there.:confused:

how many water bottles?

You can get one's that clip to the side of the cage on the outside and poke into the cage. If your considering getting another pig I'd look at making the cage bigger tho. I have 3 girls with a 3X5 base and a 2X3 loft and space can still sometimes be an issue.

ooo What about the dog water bowls. with the little skrew to put a 2 liter bottle on, those are pretty big would that be a better idea then trying to get water bottles? I know my 2 piggys currently make a mess with them but. its cheaper and easier then tryign to cram/figure out 2 more bottles ^.^

my cage is between a 4 by 4 and a 4 by 5. ^.^

ooo What about the dog water bowls. with the little skrew to put a 2 liter bottle on, those are pretty big would that be a better idea then trying to get water bottles? I know my 2 piggys currently make a mess with them but. its cheaper and easier then tryign to cram/figure out 2 more bottles ^.^

my cage is between a 4 by 4 and a 4 by 5. ^.^

You can get attachments that screw onto a bottle and zip tie to the cage. I Think they'd be better. I don't think pigs are too fond of drinking from bowls. That's why they make the water feeders for them. And having more bottles is not so much about the amount of water. Sometimes pigs dominate the water bottle. Or refuse another to use it. Having one each just eliminates this problem. If you search this forum for "Not sharing water bottle" you will see what I mean. And I know 2X5 is the minimum standard for 3 pigs. But once you put 3 pigloo's. 3 Water bottles. Some toys. Food bowls etc it becomes crammed. And from experience pigs are more happy when they have room to run and jump. They do this thing called "Pop corning"

okay well is it possable if they dont dominate the water bottle they could all be happy with 1 bottle? At the moment they don;t seem to have an issue.

I think so? I'm not too sure. Other members may have some input. That's my suggestion anyways. Hope it helped.

I would say two bottles at the least. I have one water bottle for two pigs, but if I added a pig I would want an additional water bottle.

If you are worried about leakage you can always use a brick under the water bottle. This is what I do and it catches the drips keeping the fleece dry. I hate clips and I just use rubber bands on the water bottles to hold them to the side. I got that idea from this site.

(broken link removed)

Hands down the best bottle on the planet, comes with a spring that can be clipped easily to the C&C.

You can't get them in stores anymore since the company doesn't make them for small animals anymore. But their are still stores online that sell them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.