Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? How long will it last?

• Thread starter brindyzoeycandy
  • Start date

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I have four sows that eat 1/8th cup of pellets per day. How long would a 10 lb bag of Kleenmama's last? How long would a 25 lb bag last? (I would freeze extra; I just want to know how long it would last without considering spoiling.)

But I was just thinking - wouldn't freezing kill the Vitamin C?

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Since our domestic freezers are freezing slowly, it will for sure kill everything good, like vitamins, not to talk about the taste.
Better buy a little at a time since vitamin C isnt kept very long in food. But that's my opinion.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
As I understood from this site, it is entirely possible to freeze pellets for later use. Vegetables cannot be frozen without deterioration of the cell wall structure that piggies need for their digestion; but as I understood it, pellets are mainly chopped, compressed and formed hay, and they preserve their nutritional value under freezing. They are not for fiber but mainly for the protein and carbs in the cells of the hay.
Nutritional experts on the site should tell us the real story about freezing pellets; I am not an expert but just saying what I thought the experts have said.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Freezing is fine. Some members buy 50 lbs. of pellets and freeze it.

loveurpetalways

Cavy Gazer
I freeze my Oxbow pellets. I've herd of alot of people doing that, so I think the vitamin C does stay within the pellets.
Now for how long the pellets will last, err, hard to say. A 10Ib bag probably would last about 2 months, possibly 3. A 25Ib bag would probably last between 3-5 months.
Sorry I don't know an exact answer, I don't pay attention to how long my Oxbow pellets last me for my two boars. Mine get 1/8 cup each everyday, but I do think a 10Ib bag would probably last between 2-3 months for 4 piggies.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
My first 10 lb. bag of Sweetmeadow lasted one month for my four sows. I have two adults and two five month olds, so feed 1/4 cup per pig per day.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Freezing pellets actually helps to preserve the vitamins and minerals in it. C will degrade with light and air so freezing lets neither degrade the C because freezers are dark, cold and if you put the pellets in air tight freezer bags it will keep air from degrading the C.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Thanks - I think I'll order a 25 lb bag.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.