Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How long should I wait til quitting my job? AWFUL FIRST DAY

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I completely am regretting taking a 2nd part time job right now, and want to quit.

I wasn't even job searching, I was helping a customer (older Indian gentlemen with strong accent, moderate English speaking, hard to understand) with his take out order at my current food service job. He is a regular, and I've always been very nice to him, even though he can come across as not the nicest person in the world when in a hurry, but I digress.

Anyhoo, he casually asked me how long I was working there at my current job. I replied about 2 years, and he asked me if I was looking for another job. I replied, "I'm not sure. Possibly?" (as I have been toying with the idea of a 2nd part time job for awhile). He gave me his card, and asked when I got off, and told me to come by his spice store when I get off.

As soon as I got off, I went over to the store (it's tiny, like the size of a bedroom). In my mind, it was going to go something like this. He'd ask me some basic job questions (what my availability is, why I think I'd make a good fit for his store, basically an impromptu non formal interview), along with give me a basic description of the job. And then ask me if I was interested, and for me to bring in a resume, or come back for an interview.

Nope, he launches into what days he needs me to work, where to find the apron that I need to wear, shows me the dress code (hand written- black flats, black blouse-I asked, he said button down, black pants (no tights or sweats) or black knee length skirt, hair down or in a low pony tail, no high buns), and shows me the closet sized stock room/office/etc room.

He eventually asked my name, and asked what I was currently making. I told him minimum wage, and he told me that at the end of the week I would get a check for the number of hours a week I worked, and that it was "up to me if I wanted to pay taxes on it at the end of the year." He said he did this, because it wasn't fair for minimum wage people to get I lot of money taken out of their checks.

He wanted to start training me that night, but I had to go back to work. He asked me to text him my work schedule.

I did, and he wrote back that I have to talk to my current manager about my schedule on Sunday, as it conflicts with the times he needs me (just want to note, I hadn't even worked a single day for him when he's saying this). His exact wording was "I am working on your schedule everyday but Sunday she can't hold you by giving mid afternoon, so you can't work anymore, talk to her."

Tonight was my first night, training for closing. I get there, 30 min early dressed to the nines in brand new black flats, black slacks, a black button down, and my hair just so. The girl there was wearing black sneakers, a black t shirt and black cardigan. I was so mad, as I spent 5 hours yesterday driving around trying to find black button downs and pencil skirts.

She could barely understand me, she spoke VERY little English. This is the person who was training me, as the manager wasn't there. She informs me that she was training me on closing, so I could open tomorrow. I wasn't even asked, she just told me that the manager said that I was opening by myself tomorrow, and gives me the key to open the gate. She put him on the phone with me, and he told me that he would be late, as he lives far away, and that I would have to open alone. Then he asks for me to put the other girl on the phone. I started mentioning I didn't feel comfortable opening by myself, but it was briskly brushed off with an "it's easy."

I asked her multiple times if I should clock in, but she couldn't understand what I was saying. Eventually she showed me a log book, and I was able to convey what I was trying to say. She told me to write 6pm, even though I was there at 5:20pm. I asked her if I could write 5:20, and she said that I need to write down whatever the manager scheduled me for. I don't think I am getting compensated for that extra 40 min. We left 20 min late as well. Don't think I am getting compensated for that either.

We had to package more spices, and were using a scale. The bags say 1lb, yet when she was weighing it out, she put in approx only 10oz. I found this strange, and asked her how many ounces we in a pound. She says 10, then 12. I say it's 16oz. There is NO way ANY of the bags could fit a full pound, when they are bursting at only 10oz. The other bags made before had maybe 8oz or so in them. Either they are scamming people, or people just don't know how to use a scale or ounces in a pound.

I accidentally spilled a tablespoon or so out of a 10lb bag of rice. She told me that I need to be far more careful tomorrow, as the manager would get really mad about that. We had to sweep it off the table, and back into the packaging. I could of counted the grains of rice that spilled. She told me repeatedly how mad the manager gets about wasting anything. I understand trying to save and conserve money, but like 40 grains of rice? Really?

The best part, he tells on the phone that it's not fair to *me* that my current manager is making me work Sunday mornings, how it's going to make me run ragged having to work the afternoons there, and it will be bad for me having to do this. How inconvenient it is for *me* to have to work the hours I was originally scheduled for and told him I could work.

After I have said multiple times, I want to keep Friday's as my day off, he asked me to come in to open (9am), just for a few hours til he gets there (as he lives far away) and then just stay a couple hours after he arrives, and then I could leave around 3pm if I needed too.

I told him I wanted/could work 3-4 days a week, and already he has me scheduled for Wednesday-Sunday this week, and 5 days next week.

I went in with good intentions, and now I just want to quit. It seems so shady, and that any concerns I voice (via my schedule, availability, opening by myself after one three hour shift of training) are ignored. I also am very accident prone, and the freaking out over 40 grains of rice spilled out of a 10lb bag worries me too. The job itself is sooo easy though.

Should I at least stick it out for a week, or do you think I'd be better off quitting with in the next 2-3 days?

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't go back to that job, especially if I had another job already. I would consider looking for a different part-time job that I felt good about. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
How do you think I should go about it then? Tomorrow, I have to go in bright and early because I have the only key and am opening. What would I even say? I can't really use the "I'm sorry this isn't working for me, to have two part time jobs right now." excuse at only 2 days in. Can I?

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't seem him frequently at my current job. I just had to jump at this job, sigh. I was just so happy to feel that someone appreciated me that much to want me to work for them without me showing an inclination too, when my current manager never shows appreciation for me and my fellow co workers (despite this, she is awesome. I love her as a person, and she actually listens to concerns and what not).

Someone from the American Girl doll store also gave me their business card in case I was ever looking for a job as well, but he told me to get in contact with him so he could get me in contact with HR. He was very professional about everything. Should of went that route, but it seemed so weird and creepy to treat dolls like actual people. Or checked to see if the doggie bakery/store was applying. This is what I get when I "go for it." Lol.

I am bummed, as I was really excited to work for a spice shop, and for a small business. I love supporting small businesses, and what better way than to work for one?

I worry I will regret quitting it as well, because despite all it's flaws, it is SO INCREDIBLY EASY. I feel kind of stupid to want to quit such an easy job, despite how shady it is.

I appreciate all your answers and advice greatly.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd quit after he comes in, as long as there's someone else to cover, If there's not, finish out the day out of respect for him. It's not like there's any advancement or that this job would be a stepping stone for something else. I'd be nice about it and just say you realized it's more than you can handle and thank him for the opportunity. Sounds like more of a cultural clash than anything else.

When I was a senior in high school and just had turned 18, I took a job at a convenience store that was sort of like a 7-11. It seemed like a decent place during the day but they scheduled me work evenings and close the store at midnight. Back then, the drinking age was 18, so they also sold alcohol. I had the keys to the store, had to mop floors, stock shelves and work the cash register and go to school during the day. If that wasn't bad enough, it was sort of remote, next door to a funeral parlor. It was not only stressful, it was scary so I quit after a couple of days. I also had a job at a men's clothing store where they'd send out corporate people who'd try and shoplift from your area and, if they did, they'd dock your pay. Lots of crappy work places out there so be picky.

American Doll creates and environment that kids will appreciate. You'd do the same thing if you worked for a place like Disneyland. If that doesn't suit you, don't take a job where you have to "participate" in a company culture. You'll find most businesses have some sort of culture they adhere to and expect their employees to be part of. It can be as simple as being really positive and respectful to dressing up provocatively at a place like Hooters or treating customers mean (they call is snarky and sassy) at a restaurant like Ed Bedevic's in Chicago.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
And do not let him talk you into staying. I would call him and let him know that you won't be in the next schedule day. I wouldn't expect a pay heck either if he was paying you under the table.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
If you were looking for another part-time job I would keep the job and start filling out applications. I would be very aggressive in trying to find another part-time job. That will solve both your problems. Once you find another new job tell him that a new job just "fell into your lap" and it's going to pay better (whether it is or isn't) and that you have to make the choice that is best for you.

ETA: Or you can just spill the rice and get fired. That'll make it easy on your end too. :) Why do you care about making him mad? Since it's not a job you are concerned with keeping what does it matter if he gets mad? The only thing he can do is fire you. Also, you know a BIG secret about him that the IRS would love to know. You're kind of the one with the power in this situation, since he was dumb enough to tell you about his belief on taxes.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Unless you need the money, I'd be out of there with no notice. It's not like you'd have to mention this employer on your resume for future jobs so who cares what he thinks.

Fay

Cavy Slave
If you really still want to give it a go I would suggest sticking to your schedule in regards to your current job and your Friday off thing. Just be firm and say that if he can't arrange to work around your current jobs time that he might have to look for someone else. I'm willing to bet he's struggling to find people to work for his shady business so he might concede.

Then also make sure you keep track of the actual times you work and once it comes to payday if they don't pay you enough just say you will quit if they do not pay you what they're owed. At least then if they fire you it'll be clear it is because they aren't treating you fairly and you might remain in good standing. Just whatever you do don't risk your current job over this one.

I'd also follow up with the American Dolls place so that you have a backup and can find out what you would actually have to do. They seem far less shady.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd get out of there ASAP. He's paying you illegally, and who knows whether that could come back to bite you.

alblaylock

Cavy Slave
QUIT.

I agree- Even though you may see him often, let him know that this was more than your expected and can handle.

It may be difficult, but no one can hold that against you. I wouldn't even bother to put it on future resumes or applications.

Getting paid under the table is one of the worst decisions you can make. It has so many more consequences than you'd ever realize! Even years later!

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'd quit, but the decision is yours. For me, too many many things just don't 'sit right'. You don't have to stay for any length of time.
Some years ago after a few months off work after a work injury I started a part time job in a bakery, 7.00am-1pm. The boss & 2 bakers were Iranian, a 3rd was Turkish. He was a bit abrupt but polite at the interview. He was to train me because the previous girl left without notice. No alarms went off, because some people do that.
Well! I got yelled at, pushed aside, growled at for taking a break (having a cuppa out back where I could watch for customers), interupted while serving...
He & the bakers often got into shouting at each other in their language too, which was a bit disconcerting! The second day which was just as bad. I stuck the day out although I wanted to walk right out, when I got home I phoned the next-shift guy & asked him to tell the boss I wasn't coming back, I couldn't work in those conditions.
Anyway, after that rambling into the past, by now you will have decided what to do. Will you update us?

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yikes! @dani_starr, you shouldn't stay there a second longer than totally necessary! Illegal is never the answer. Please don't get mixed up into bad company, and I don't think guinea pigs are allowed in jail!
You never know what that guy could be doing. It's your choice, but I'd leave ASAP.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Wow, thank you so much for all the responses.

I have decided to quit, after my day today (I'll elaborate below) and reading all these. I'm going to send an email in a little bit, as unprofessional as that is (sending an email versus talking to him in person), I have a feeling that I would get sucked back into staying. I'm a door mat when it comes to people like him.

I feel really bad, as he has been very nice to me personally (and it's actually quite enjoyable to sell spices and help people sample), but there is no way it's an ethical work environment.

Just a few of the things that were the tip of the iceberg today:
-Noticed a note on the dress code/rules paper taped to the closet door "Not following this will be a $50 penalty"
-He had me help him put new expiration date stickers to cover up old expiration date labels on items that had expired MONTHS ago (one was from March) for a buy 3 for $15 sale basket
-Commanded/sort of pressured me into being filmed for a web series by some youtube people (granted I didn't say no outright, he did direct/gently pushed me in front of the camera without even asking if I wanted to take part)
-Confirmed my theory that weights are incorrect, but said it's due to the "fan" (which was off) messing up the scale, or a bad battery (must be lots of bad batteries, as none of the bags were the same weight, and there are 100's of bags). They are selling "2oz" of something for $8-$10, and "1lb" for $20, when there is really only a little more than an oz in the 2oz ones (from what I gathered from weighing various bags prepped by others), and can't be anymore than 12oz in the pound one.
-Even though it was all innocent, I went to grab my bag from the closet/office to leave for my other job. The film crew wanted to get a 360 shot of the entire store, and the owner didn't want to be in the shot, so he went into the closet/office, and shut the door. It was just me and him in this tiny room, alone. Even though it was all unintentional and innocent, it was just really weird and sort of uncomfortable.

Oh and this is the BEST part. I was saying how Sunday's were non negotiable, his response was that I needed to try, because they don't have anyone else. (Everyone else has quit because they are moving or starting school or something). I told him that I can't, because we are also short staffed due to people leaving and currently hiring new people. He asked me where we were posting job ads. I found this highly strange, but did answer him and said "through word of mouth and craigslist I think." He told me that if "any people come in looking for a job, nice representable girls, to direct them to his store. But not any guys, as he doesn't hire guys as they don't know anything about cooking."

At best, that is sexist. At worst, it's just plain creepy.

I told my current manager that "well I guess I should tell you that I don't think my new job is going to pan out." She yelled "YES!" very loudly, and did like a victory jump thing, and excited clapping". I guess she does appreciate me after all. I told her about some of the stuff I listed above, and she was shocked. There is no way she would fire me over any of this though, thank god.

My co workers were telling me that they thought it sounded sketchy from the getgo as well. I guess I was the only one who was naive.

Also, about the under the table pay, I had NO idea how bad it was to do that. I told my stepmom and my current assistant manager about it, and they said it was normal and no big deal. I had no clue that it could land me in serious trouble.

Oh, and @LoveMyHerd, best. post. ever.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
@dani_starr, I'm glad to hear you've worked it all out. I think you're handling it nicely.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
(regarding the guinea pigs in jail) lol

I did want to clarify on the American Girl thing, it's not so much that I find it weird and creepy how the culture and environment is, it's more that I have a phobia of dolls, and therefore find treating them like people creepy. (All stems from watching this movie when I was 9. Thought it was going to be funny, and it wasn't. https://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3768254745 it looks funny, but it's freaking creepy) I had an American Girl doll when I was younger, and gave it my little sister after the first week of having it, as it scared me. I definitely agree that they do a great job targeting marketing at things that appeals to kids.

I'll at least text my co worker about it, since she used to work there before moving. I adore little kids, especially little girls (horrible to say, but I am biased). Thanks again for all the advice :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.