Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels How high can piggies step up?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I am planning our c&c cage and have been seeing many upper levels, ramps and steps. I've seen some upper levels (or 'bunk beds') placed at half the height of a grid. Can a piggie climb that high? Does he need a step?

How high can a piggie step up?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Depends on the age of the pig. Young ones can easily jump up to the bunk bed that's 6" high.

If they are 4 or older, consider not putting a bunk bed in the cage. [Edit to add] It's not good for their aging joints. They can still jump up, but it's better to not allow them.

Last edited:

aspecht

Cavy Slave
All of my boys are quite capable of stepping up a half grid, probably even 3/4 grid high. Generally if they can get their feet up they can get up (my boys) which is why we don't have a bunk bed LOL! I'm afraid they'd jump right out of the cage.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I have a bunk bed in my 3x4 (4 pigs) and they all get up there easily. I have a lid on the cage though so no worries about them getting out.

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
I have two girls in a 3x4 with a bunk bed placed at 1/2 grid, they have no problem getting up there and it is their favorite place in the cage. But I would make sure that if you don't have a closed cage, you make a top for the bunk bed as I have seen my girls eyeing the edge of the cage where they could hop out when my cage top is open :D.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone. That will help me in my planning...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.