Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How can I make my c&c warm?

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
I've ordered a space heater for my bedroom, but until that comes, is there any way I can keep my room warm? My family insists on putting the house at 65* at night and it's absolutely freezing. I've noticed my baby boar has gotten a sneeze. I don't want my pigs getting sick, so I ordered the space heater, but what can I do for now to keep them nice and warm? Even during the day our house is pretty chilly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sixty-five is no problem for haired guinea pigs, and the cool temperature will not make your pig sick. Pigs, like other mammals, get sick from bacteria or viruses or fungi, but not from the temperature unless they get cold enough for tissues to be damaged. That won't happen at sixty-five degrees.

If you've got a skinny pig, however, it's much different, and you'll need a heat lamp and some warm hideys.

But if you're worried about your pig, put a fairly small hidey in the cage, one that he can easily fit into but which will trap his body heat to keep him warm. You can also drape fleece or a blanket across one end of the cage. Also make sure the cage isn't in a draft.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Mine insists on putting at 60 at lets it do anything from there I have woken up and have seen it in the 50s and that is absolutely freezing. Wrapping warm waterbottles in fleece will help. Putting extra fleece in the cage. and putting extra snuggle sacks in the cage as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
have seen it in the 50s and that is absolutely freezing.

Actually, no. Freezing is 32 degrees or below. But the fifties is pretty chilly even for haired pigs, although they can survive much colder temperatures than that. One user on here rescued a guinea pig that had spent several nights in a snow bank with the temps around zero, and the pig was just fine.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Actually, no. Freezing is 32 degrees or below. But the fifties is pretty chilly even for haired pigs, although they can survive much colder temperatures than that. One user on here rescued a guinea pig that had spent several nights in a snow bank with the temps around zero, and the pig was just fine.

I know that 32 or below is freezing as in water I am not an idiot and what you just said is rude. When I say its freezing its a metaphor as in it feels like it is freezing.

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the input! :) Puts my mind at ease!

pinky

Cavy Slave
If your cage is on a wood or tile floor, add a rug under the cage to insulate the bottom. Toss a blanket or towels over the cage, leaving a small area for ventilation. Keep hideys or pigloos in there and make sure the bedding isn't damp. Personally, I think regular bedding is better than fleece when it's really cold because a thick layer of bedding is more insulated than a layer of fleece over an absorbent layer. If we lose power when it's cold, I switch to regular bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.