Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi

Raven Helms

Cavy Slave
My name is Raven.
My mom gave me 2 piggies yesterday (they were gave to her and she thought it'd be a good idea to give them to me). One boy, one girl. They each had their own 10 gallon fish tank (which are too small). I can't keep them in the same cage (my husband modified a dog crate for the boy that we're keeping)....but the girl is still in the fish tank because i have nothing bigger to keep her in. I also don't want babies bc i do know how fast they can reproduce.
Also one of them is without a water bottle and i forgot to get one while i was out. If i use a bowl they just keep knocking it over...any suggestions?

I've never owned piggies before so I'll take any bit of advice I can get! :)

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
If you're keeping both pigs, get the boy neutered. Pigs are happier in pairs but DO NOT put them together right now, as you said you don't want babies. Find a heavy bowl to put water in and get that girl out of the tank asap. Go buy some grids at walmart or something and make a couple of makeshift C&C cages until you can get the boy neutered, then you can house them together. There's plenty of info on these cages on this website. You can even use a shower curtain for the bottom of the cage with towels on top if you have to. If the boy and girl were housed together before you got them, you should see a vet to make sure she's not already pregnant. Pigs need unlimited water and timothy hay. They also need to eat plenty of veggies for a source of vitamin C. Bell peppers are a favorite of my pigs :)

Raven Helms

Cavy Slave
can they be just as happy alone (i understand that they're social animals) but i don't have the money to get him fixed right now or to try and acquire another cage. i know her being in that little tank isn't good for her, but maybe i can find her a home where they have adequate room.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
can they be just as happy alone (i understand that they're social animals) but i don't have the money to get him fixed right now or to try and acquire another cage. i know her being in that little tank isn't good for her, but maybe i can find her a home where they have adequate room.

I'm sorry to say, but they are not just as happy alone. They are herd animals that need a companion. Even though they are not in the same sage they can still communicate.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I hope you're feeding hay 24/7.. You really need to get her OUT of that tank regardless, find something else to put her in and if you don't have the money to aquire a 40$ C&C cage I'd suggest finding a guinea pig rescue for both pigs.. I've spent nearly 200$ in one day on a vet bill for one I'm assuming if you can't pay for a cage you can't afford a guinea pig.. And breeding is bad my girl nearly died from an accidental pregnancy (hence the vet bill)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
And breeding is bad my girl nearly died from an accidental pregnancy (hence the vet bill)
She isn't breeding them. She said she separated them because she doesn't want them to have babies.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@Aleks I know she said she didn't want them to reproduce I was just letting her know that it can be dangerous.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
And I honestly was not trying to be mean about anything I said.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Aleks I know she said she didn't want them to reproduce I was just letting her know that it can be dangerous.

And I honestly was not trying to be mean about anything I said.

No worries, it was just a misunderstanding on my part. The way it was worded made it sound like you thought she was going to breed them. Sorry about that, haha. :eek:

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@Aleks Its okay I am the WORST at wording things so its definitely understandable. :)

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave

Raven, it is true that how well you can manage your piggies now can set up how healthy they will be later...piggies can be great pets and can live from 5-7 years. But a sick piggy is not only costly in terms of vet care as others have said, but also very draining emotionally for they really need their human to help them get better...they can't do it on their own....and it really can be distressing to watch a piggy suffer any kind of illness. So take the advice of others and start your piggy's life with you with proper care....or if that is too much for you to do right now then surrendering them to a good rescue may be the better choice. You can find great information on this site and others...check out the guinea lynx website for information on how to keep the healthy....you might even be able to pick up a free flyer on piggy care from a local pet store that sells them. Either way...I am sure you will make the best choice for afterall, you decided to join this forum which already means you do care about their welfare. best to you and your piggies!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I hope you're feeding hay 24/7.. You really need to get her OUT of that tank regardless, find something else to put her in and if you don't have the money to aquire a 40$ C&C cage I'd suggest finding a guinea pig rescue for both pigs.. I've spent nearly 200$ in one day on a vet bill for one I'm assuming if you can't pay for a cage you can't afford a guinea pig.. And breeding is bad my girl nearly died from an accidental pregnancy (hence the vet bill)

This comment was slightly uncalled for. Just because she cannot afford a neuter does not mean she is incapable of caring for her pigs. I can't afford a neuter, so am I bad parent as well? I can guarantee you, that my pigs have been to the vet ($25) and have been taken care of. I agree that she needs to get the pig out of the tank, as it is not a healthy option.

OP, I acquired ALL of my guinea pig stuff for around $65. That included enough grids to make the cage (I could have made two 2X4 cages with the materials I purchased) and the water bottles and food dishes. For now, a heavy ceramic bowl would do, but you have to make sure to change the water often, as it tends to get really dirty. You also HAVE to make sure they are getting fresh veggies. A well balanced diet is key to healthy pets. This includes making sure they are getting plenty of food and fresh hay. I'd suggest a quality Timothy based pellet and unlimited Timothy hay. How old are the piggys?

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
@aspecht I wish you would've read it right because I said if she can't afford to aquire a cage!

Other than that welcome to the forum if you get everything worked out and decide to keep them I hope you do stay around like I said I was NOT trying to be mean honestly!

Raven Helms

Cavy Slave
The girl piggy has a home now...but the boy is still with me and i plan to keep him. there isn't a shelter around here that adopts out piggies. my boy (who my hubby has affectionately named oreo) is still in a dog crate but I'm needing help on how to modify the bottom where it will make the cleaning of the cage easier (the tray is gone from the bottom so hubby but some tarp down but bedding isn't contained).
Oreo gets veggies daily and lots of hay.
The piggies were given to me as well (i had no idea i would ever have one)...but a lady gave my mom the two last week and so she gave them to me...this is the only reason i wound up with the
but i am trying my best with what i have. He was unexpected but we are attached to him.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
You can use Coroplast and cut out the size you need for it! But fleece is super cheap and ADDICTING! I did PM you back hope you get it as I stated I have trouble with it since I'm on my phone lol piggies are fun and glad you came here because this is the right place but its still best to look in to getting him a male companion :)

Raven Helms

Cavy Slave
I wish there was ppl around here who adopted out piggies. i definately don't want him to be alone.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Raven Helms you will get lots of helpful tips here. They are addictive little furry clowns those guinea pigs. They have a unique way of burrowing into your heart. I'm glad you decided to keep 'Oreo'...Until you can work out a better cage situation, just be sure Oreo cannot squeeze his head between the cages bars. For a bottom I would suggest getting a large inexpensive beach towel from the Dollar Store and putting it on top of the tarp, then find some fleece remmant on sale that would fit the bottom allowing any excess to be pulled out under so you can prevent him from crawling under it...then prepare your fleece for wicking and put on top of the towel...this will create a nice comfy floor for Oreo...then put a small plastic tray that isn't too deep so he can easliy jump in and out of it on one side...add some Carefresh for litter and put his hay, water, pellets etc...all inside. They tend to do their business while they eat so that should cut back on the scattering of bedding in the rest of the cage. Hope that helps...and welcome to the piggy world! I feel it won't be long before you search out another boar for Oreo. Have fun!

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I wish there was ppl around here who adopted out piggies. i definately don't want him to be alone.

I understand closest rescue to me is 5-6 hours away :( so none of mine have actually come from a rescue. But you could try Craigslist thats where I got my girly Noel from! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.