Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi. I’m new as a guinea pig own.

lisacox80

Cavy Slave
Hi I’m both a New Guinea pig(s) owner and new to this forum. I’m wondering on how long it takes to bond 2 males that both want to be dominate. I found small bites (scabs) on our new little guy. We are going on day 5 that they are together and they are fine one minute and scrapping another. One of our guys in about 6 months old and we have had him since he was 3 months old. Our other little guy we have had for about 3 weeks and we don’t know how old he is (possible the same age). Please advise.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, you've got two pigs in puberty, so they're probably going to squabble for a while. But cage size makes a huge difference, and boars need a lot of space -- 10-11 square feet minimum for two boars, and larger is better. All hideys should have at least two doors, and there should be something, like draped fleece, that is strategically placed to break up the lines of sight so they're not always visible to each other.

lisacox80

Cavy Slave
Well, you've got two pigs in puberty, so they're probably going to squabble for a while. But cage size makes a huge difference, and boars need a lot of space -- 10-11 square feet minimum for two boars, and larger is better. All hideys should have at least two doors, and there should be something, like draped fleece, that is strategically placed to break up the lines of sight so they're not always visible to each other.

lisacox80

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I was worried. I will start shopping for some fun stuff for them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They won't play with stuff unless they're very unusual pigs. You'd be better off enlarging their cage unless you've already got a big one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.