Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Help me get my piggies back inside!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
So, here's the situation.

My pigs were inside (which my parents weren't happy about in the first place), in two home made cages, that are as appropriate as it gets for outdoor living (which, yes, I know and agree is not good AT ALL!). So long story short, I go camping with friends for a week, come home and find my guinea pigs in the cages in the backyard! I was furious, asking mum why she moved them outside. She simply replied, "I don't won't these rodents taking up space downstairs, I believe they stink" (to which I replied, "I just have to make the fleece bedding up and it will not smell anywhere as much as shavings, which, don't smell at all!") and she finished with, "I don't like the idea of "outdoor" animals inside." I have tried to compromise by saying that they can stay in my room (which I would loooooove!) and I would try to make more room so their cage can fit, I have said that we can fill the large storage area on the bottom of the cage with a cage for the other pigs, which means we will only have one cage but separated. I can't find anything that will convince my parents, I made up a folio of info and everything.

I have psychological issues and them being outside is causing me a lot of anxiety, and seriously stopping my recovery. My parents think it that bringing them inside won't improve my situation, but ever since I expanded their cage and added two more to the herd, I have been so much happier. They give me something good to focus on, rather than the bad things. I literally get up at night and go cuddle with them. I love them so very much, they are my world and I would be so upset if anything were to happen to them. I JUST WANT MY PIGGIES BACK WHERE THEY BELONG, INSIDE WITH MEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them back inside and how to fit their cage in my room?

pigsNblanket

Cavy Slave
Well I agree, I think they should be inside with you. Did your mom agree to let them inside the house originally? Maybe she just got stressed out when u where gone. Try and talk with her let her know its not safe for them out side especially in the heat and maybe you could get them back in the house on a conditional trial, meaning you keep their cage clean and smelling good and keep them in ur room where ur mom does not have to deal with them at all. Explain to ur mom that they make u feel better and calm u down, I'm sure ur mom will give it another go if u take on the responsibility. Good luck :eye-poppi

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I feel as though I read these kinds of posts all too often. Unfortunately parents of children who have pets don't understand appropriate care of said pets. It's disappointing that your parents have allowed you to take on pets without allowing you to care for them well. As the adults in this situation, they should be the ones showing you how to care for you guinea pigs, teaching you the responsibility of pet ownership - not the other way around.
You're going to need to be persistent, fund low odor bedding and coach your parents on why they need to be inside. It's awful that they don't understand. Working initially towards middle ground with the pigs being allowed inside at night and when the weather isn't appropriate may be a good way to start.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Show us some pics and dimensions of your room and cage, and perhaps we can offer some options.

For your mum, begin with a good, clear plan for how you will make it work inside. Take steps to make that happen. Get the fleece ready, write down a cleaning schedule you can stick to, perhaps offer some other bit of good will if she says yes (that you can realistically stick to). The clearer the expectations, the easier it will be. For example, don't say "I'll keep it clean" because that is open to interpretation and you mum may feel you won't clean it as well as she wants. Instead, say something like you will sweep twice a day and will change the fleece every Tuesday and Saturday, so that you both can agree to what will be done. Try to explain, as calmly as you can (write it down if you need to) that having them close to you helps your anxiety and happiness. Be careful not to argue, but keep to a good and respectful conversation. Good luck!

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I agree completely. While my heart hurts for your struggle, I think its sad that your parents let you have pigs at all if they didn't want them inside. I know that's so harsh, but all of this undue stress on you and your piggies because your parents won't let them inside isn't fair, either. Unfortunately, your parents own your house and as much as it sucks and as hard as it is, there's nothing you can do in the very end to "one-up" them.

My advice to you, since you already have piggies and now that you're attached I know there's no way they're going anywhere, is to (continue) being incredibly mature about this. I don't know how old you are, but my parents wouldn't listen to anything I said when I was young because I was constantly being dramatic and upset. I'm not saying that's what you're doing (because I don't even know you), but it's easy to forget our deportment and behavior when you are young and upset. Believe me, I know. At 22, I still have to sit back sometimes and take a breath, when I really just want to scream and kick the ground and cry.

I think that if you're persistent, you can make this work. But you have to be persistent AND act like an adult. I bet your mother doesn't want them inside because she doesn't think you're responsible enough for them. What if you offered to take on more chores in return for having your pigs inside? Or better yet, what if you just DID the chores and then compromise afterwards? Or rearrange/organize your room as if your piggies are going in there, but say you just wanted order to your room.

Also, I don't know the temperature there, but it has JUST been getting into the 50s at night here, and I live in Southern USA and even that is WAY too cold for a pig to be outside. I would suggest considering a new home for these guys if your parents just won't back down... I'm so sorry you're going through so much stress and anxiety, but it is downright cruel to keep a piggy outside in the early spring....

Just my opinion...

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your answers everyone! Luckily, its quite nice weather around here at the moment, however, as I am in Australia, it will get cold soon and is unbearable in the summers. Just so you all know, I am nearly fifteen and am very responsible. I don't think my mum trusting me to be responsible is the issue, I think it's more just how she wants things to go. I know right now it sounds like my parents are being unreasonable, but I think they just don't understand the importance. All their friends that have piggies have them outside, so they automatically think that it is ok. I have a good feeling that better education may be the key to win them over.

Last night, I devised a plan of action. See what you think-

1. I will show my parents this forum, show them the importance of having the pigs housed inside. I'll tell them about all the diseases they can obtain from being outside, and talk to them about the vet bills we could save if they were inside. As we are short on money, this could be the point where they agree, but I doubt it.

2. I will write a letter telling them about how anxious and sad it makes me feel to have them outside. I will tell them that I believe that having them with me will help me take my mind off things.

3. I will make a spreadsheet of how I will clean and reduce smell in my room. Mum loves organisation so maybe if I lay it out out in front of her, she will see the light.

4. I will make up several plans of how my room could be with the cage in it. I'll give mum the choice of which one she likes better, and will fund all the costs. I am about to post the floor plan of my room, so can you guys possibly help?

5. I will prepare the cage for indoor use, putting the fleece in, telling Dad about how the bottom can be upgraded. He doesn't mind if the cage is inside or not, so maybe a new task will help him convince mum.

That's all I have so far, but does anyone have any ideas on something that can help my room smell really good, even with pigs in it?

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
I had a situation like this with my dad. I finnaly convinced him but have you tried litter training

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If your parents are worried about smell, you can always keep a little open dish of bicarbonate of soda near your piggies' cage to help absorb odours. Also, one tip I really like it keeping potted herbs like basil near your pigs' cage. Not only do you get the lovely scent of basil but as an added bonus if your pigs like eating the stuff you can pick some off and feed it to them whenever you like.

That's the two tips I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck!

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
At Petsmart they sell little air fresheners

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
@piggiepigpigs75 the OP lives in Australia & we don't have a Petsmart... Anyway, @gigiroxstar I've heard that there are air freshners at IKEA but they're quite expensive. You could put extra towels in corners of their cage where they go to the potty & change those towels frequently. You could also try litter training but it doesn't always work with alot of pigs, but good luck with your parents on getting them inside!:D

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I have a couple of these around (broken link removed) they help a bit, but for the most part keeping the cages clean is effective enough.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know a good website to make floorplans of my room? I am thinking of getting a loft bed if I really can't fit the cage, but I love my bed so much so I would prefer not to.

Also, I love the idea of planting basil or something next to the cage! It sounds cheap and easy!

And finally, dad is on my side! He has agreed to give me a trial of the cage being in my room! Now we just have to convince mum, but i'll brave that task tonight...

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry you're going through this! When I found out my son wanted guinea pigs I immediately started researching what they needed and what they could eat. It's what a responsible parent would do. We now share the responsibility of taking care of them. You've gotten some good advice so just try to follow it and maybe your mom will come around.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Here is the link to the design of my room. I hope it works. Also, the program makes it look like I have more space that I actually have. And I have to fit the home made cage in which is about the dimensions of the wardrobe, but a little shorter length wise. So the cage is about 1.3m by 60cm, equivalent to 4 and 1/3 by 2 grids.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Didn't you say that you have four piggies? That might not be enough room for them.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have four piggies but they are separated due to having a huge fight in introductions. So there are two in each 2 x 4 cage. One pair on the top level and one pair on the bottom, with a big space in between. The cage is actually a converted desk, so imagine one 2 x 4 on the ground, and one at desk level :) @grace&piggies

Fairy_Dust_1437

Cavy Slave
Maybe some kind of contract that you and her both agree and sign?Also when making items for the piggies you and her could do it together like mother daughter time....

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Maybe some kind of contract that you and her both agree and sign?Also when making items for the piggies you and her could do it together like mother daughter time....

Could do! Maybe she will start to love them if she sees them enjoying stuff that her and I have made.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any ideas for the floor plan? I am stuck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.