Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello & Thanks for having us

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave

Ruby77

Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone has the right to yell at anyone else as we all start out somewhere! I didn't know that woodshavings were bad to use as a bedding when I first started out but as soon as I did I stopped using them!
Piggies do eat constantly (and pooh, hehe) have you tried them with melon or parsley, which should be used only as a treat too but mine love it!

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
Ruby77 said:
I don't think anyone has the right to yell at anyone else as we all start out somewhere! I didn't know that woodshavings were bad to use as a bedding when I first started out but as soon as I did I stopped using them!
Piggies do eat constantly (and pooh, hehe) have you tried them with melon or parsley, which should be used only as a treat too but mine love it!
Yes you are correct. It could cause someone to react defensively. I am glad I found this site so that I may learn the proper care for my guineas. Alot of the information given to me has been very useful and will help my piggies live a healthier life. I had a piggie named Violet, we got her from a friend. She was very ill to begin with, she got better with medicine, but a few weeks later she passed away. It was very sad. I hope to gather as much information as possible so that my piggies will flourish.

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Ruby77 said:
I didn't know that woodshavings were bad to use as a bedding when I first started out but as soon as I did I stopped using them!

Ruby, you can use some woodshavings. You just can't use cedar or pine (but you can use kiln dried pine).

Ruby77

Cavy Slave
I am afraid I have heard that ANY woodshavings are a big no no as it strips oils from the piggies skin making them more prone to fungal. Cetainly in this country, dont' know about anywhere else in the world.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
That is also what I have heard. Aspen, pine, sawdust etc. all have been found by some to actually absorb moisture from pigs' bodies and coats and dry them out a little. Interestingly, as with Ruby, I've only heard of it in UK so far.

The site is strict but for a reason. You didn't know any better and it's all in the past now, nothing you can do about it. What you now are willing to do is learn and research and act for the present and the future, and listen to what people here have to say about caring for piggies and so on. That's the important bit.

It's the ignorant ones who think we talk crap and think we are too strict, bossy and biased that cause trouble, and unfortunately there have been a few of them in the past.

It's always good to see someone willing to learn and to listen.

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much cavy-cool-crazy. I am in love with this site, there is so much information, I am so thrilled that a person can be so invested in their pets. Alot of people think only cats or dogs should get special treatment and that piggies should get pellets and water and thats sufficient. I am glad to know that the relationship with piggies can be as fulfilling too. I can not wait to finish their new home today and watch them enjoy it.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I think your piggies rock too! They are very cute!

I think most of us started off doing things 'wrong' for our piggies - but as CCC says, it's the changes you make now, knowing how to improve their lives that matter. Nobody should make you feel bad for not knowing!

Tell us all about your cage! Size, shape, what the piggies think etc! (and ofcourse, we want pictures!)

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
My cage will be done hopefully today, my hubby was stopping to get a few other things I need, mainly the little plastic ties. I also think I will make it a 2 story because it will be easy now that the bottom is almost done(that was the harder part), so far I have 3x4 and will make it a 3x5 with a level up top for these guys as well. Got the coroplast and yes I am almost done. I will post photos as soon as I am done.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Cool! I have a 3x4 too! My upper level is 1x4 - so is using the length where yours uses the width. It will be interesting to see how they differ! Definitely go for two storey - my two girls LOVE racing up and down the ramp in their good moments, and getting away from eachother in harder times!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.