Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from NYC

francisco_ny

Cavy Slave
The ones they like so far (carrots and parsley) should be limited, as you probably already know.

Follow up.. The PDF I got has carrots listed as "feed almost daily" and parsley as 3-4 times per week.

Also I have no idea how to meassure how much to give them.

Is there a difference between "baby carrots" and regular carrots in terms of nutritional value? I have been giving them regular carrots (washed and cut into small pieces).

Do they enjoy the carrots more in little pieces or should I leave them as bigger/longer pieces?

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I know the PDf you are talking about :). You'll notice on it, that most of the 'daily' items are things like lettuce. They are really good to feed daily, make a great base to the diet, aren't too expensive, and seem to keep well in the fridge.

When I first started with two pigs, I got out a 2 cup measuring cup, and as I chopped up the veggies, I put them in the measuring cup until it was full. Now I just eyeball it, and I know that a large handfull is going to be at least a cup.

I think that most of the baby carrots we get are actually just bigger carrots cut up and washed. I think baby carrot is just a good size reference for how much carrot a pig can have in a day.

I think cutting veggies depends on what the pigs like, and what people prefer to do. I am a big slave, and chop my lettuce into long thin strips for the pigs, but plenty of people just give the leaves whole. I give baby carrots whole, and my boys pick them up and take them to a nice place to eat, seem to like having a big piece of carrot! peppers get sliced into thin strips... The only one I can think of where it is important to cut into small pieces is celery and stringy vegetables (maybe chard too?) that should be cut into pieces less than an inch long, so your pigs don't choke on the strings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.