Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from GA

frillint

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I think your piggy is SOOOO cute!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Do you know the dimensions of the cage I purchased?

I don't need to. There isn't a cage available in pet stores (I am 99% sure the Midwest habitat is only available online) that is even close to the 10square feet recommended for a pair of cavies, or even the 7.5 feet for a "single". Be aware that he dimensions on the box are the outer edge of the cage, not the actual inner dimensions of actual useable floorspace.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
Why does someone keep coming on here and putting a negative on every post I make? They are voting it as negative, even if the tone is not negative. I do not understand it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Why does someone keep coming on here and putting a negative on every post I make? They are voting it as negative, even if the tone is not negative. I do not understand it.

It's every user's prerogative to vote a post up, down or not vote one way or the other. No one has to tell anyone why they do so. It's all done anonymously. You shouldn't take it personally.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I didn't vote on your posts at all, but by far the most likely reason for them to be voted down is the following:

You got pigs before researching the size requirements. You should have had a single level cage of at least 10.5 sq ft before getting them. Everyone makes mistakes, but you haven't actually taken any steps to correct this. It hasn't been convenient for you to get the grids, so you just haven't. Your pigs need a certain amount of space regardless of whether or not its convenient, and they need it from the day you bring them home. Baby pigs need just as much space as older pigs--they are more active. They need to be able to exercise whenever they want, not just when you put them in their "play area".

If you had said that you didn't realize they needed so much space, that you were trying to correct that, and that you wanted to know how to baby-proof your cage, you would have gotten different responses. Now that you know they need a bigger cage and that it is extremely easy to prevent them from escaping, you have the chance to fix things.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
What is the purpose of posting up or down? What does it do on this board??? Do negative posts get flagged for moderator viewing?

I am starting to think that although I like the wealth of information on this board, personality wise it is not going to be a good fit for me here.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
It hasn't been convenient for you to get the grids, so you just haven't. Your pigs need a certain amount of space regardless of whether or not its convenient, and they need it from the day you bring them home. Baby pigs need just as much space as older pigs--they are more active. They need to be able to exercise whenever they want, not just when you put them in their "play area".

If you had said that you didn't realize they needed so much space, that you were trying to correct that, and that you wanted to know how to baby-proof your cage, you would have gotten different responses. Now that you know they need a bigger cage and that it is extremely easy to prevent them from escaping, you have the chance to fix things.
AS a matter of a fact I ask how to baby proof on another thread.

Number two you don't know a darn thing about me. It hasn't been convenient for me to get grids? Where do you come off saying that?

I looked several places Thursday without any luck. I have had a sick child with a high fever. Friday on the way to work she vomited all over herself and we had to turn around and come home. So actually my priorities have been right where they need to be, mothering my child.

This place is unreal. I won't be back. We are taking the guinea pigs to the vet on Wednesday. I'll take her advice on the cage and diet. She's an exotic vet and I've not gone wrong with her in 15 years.

Seems like this board likes to run off new people.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
A lot of vets give out inaccurate care info.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
Really? I wasn't aware of that.

She has been our vet for 15 years. She is revered in this area for her knowledge of exotics. I'll take her advice over that of strangers that I have encountered on a message board for a week.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Up to you but that may be detrimental to your pigs. I have seen vets that claim to be cavy savy prescribe dangerous medicines, say hay is not necessary, say ivermectin doesn't treat mites (instead recommending a dangerous flea powder), recommend pellets with seeds and colored bits and adding vit c to their water. And one of these is a vet who was published in many journals and "well respected."

Not all vets are perfect. Vet schools actually dedicate a little amount of time to guinea pigs in their schooling. And many of the books out there are out of date. Blindly trusting a vet and not asking questions is rather naive.

Strangers? Ha. Most of us are rescues and you can see from our profiles we have been posting here for months if not years.

Last edited:

utsarah

Cavy Slave
What I am saying is that you all are strangers to me. You are assuming my vet will give bad advice.

aly8084

Cavy Slave
Hey, Welcome to the forum!
I'm glad you stayed around!
Most of us here also bought from a petstore then realized the mistake. I understand what you are saying but I think it would be best if you made your guinea pigs a C&c cage. Males will normally have a dominance issue sooner or later. Also the bigger cage will help maybe not have the dominance issue. Also I got tons worse insults when I first came on and is now glad i'm here. I hope you just realize that C&c cage are the way to go.

aly8084

Cavy Slave
Well I guess your not staying around didn't see the second page oops. And if they have been your vet for that long I bet they are dog and cat vet not cavy vet by the way.

frillint

Cavy Slave
It's every user's prerogative to vote a post up, down or not vote one way or the other. No one has to tell anyone why they do so. It's all done anonymously. You shouldn't take it personally.

What voting thing? Where is this at, and how do you do the thanking thing or am I not allowed to yet?

Last edited:

frillint

Cavy Slave
I don't need to. There isn't a cage available in pet stores (I am 99% sure the Midwest habitat is only available online) that is even close to the 10square feet recommended for a pair of cavies, or even the 7.5 feet for a "single". Be aware that he dimensions on the box are the outer edge of the cage, not the actual inner dimensions of actual useable floorspace.

I recently just bought the midwest habitat plus. You are right it says its 9 square feet, but it is actually only 8 square feet. I bought two of them so I now have 16 square feet of cage. Which according to this site is plenty for my 3 piggys, but I only have 2 in it right now till my male baby is neutered. I love it, because I can add on more cages to it. Which I will probaly add one more before its over with :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
What I am saying is that you all are strangers to me. You are assuming my vet will give bad advice.

No one assumed anything. It was stated that some vets give bad advice (often unknowingly). Since you are new to guinea pigs, you won't know how to evaluate what your vet says and does. Therefore it is important to make sure you get this information from sites like this one rather than naively assuming that your vet is great. It doesn't matter how good he/she is with other animals or how long you have been going to this vet--that tells you absolutely nothing about this person's knowledge and experience with guinea pigs.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
Well I guess your not staying around didn't see the second page oops. And if they have been your vet for that long I bet they are dog and cat vet not cavy vet by the way.
She does dogs and cats but also exotics. We have a bird and she is very good. We trust her.

No one assumed anything. It was stated that some vets give bad advice (often unknowingly). Since you are new to guinea pigs, you won't know how to evaluate what your vet says and does. Therefore it is important to make sure you get this information from sites like this one rather than naively assuming that your vet is great. It doesn't matter how good he/she is with other animals or how long you have been going to this vet--that tells you absolutely nothing about this person's knowledge and experience with guinea pigs.
I've already made a list of questions to ask her based on some things I've read here. I've kept my bird alive for five years so I am sure I can manage a guinea pig.

Last edited by a moderator:

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
Please stay. We can be rather critical at times because we see the same mistakes over and over again and care very much about the quality of guinea pig lives. If you stay for a while on this site, you will learn lots and as you grow as a piggie mommy, there will be a lot less criticism and more support. Also , it is possible to find out just about anything you could ever imagine just by reading old posts. The wealth of info on this site should outweigh a few rude or unpleasant comments. Welcome to the boards and know that your guinea pigs will live much richer lives for it.

I applaud you for putting your daughters happiness and that of your pets ahead of your living room carpeting.

Last edited:

utsarah

Cavy Slave
Please stay. We can be rather critical at times because we see the same mistakes over and over again and care very much about the quality of guinea pig lives. If you stay for a while on this site, you will learn lots and as you grow as a piggie mommy, there will be a lot less criticism and more support. Also , it is possible to find out just about anything you could ever imagine just by reading old posts. The wealth of info on this site should outweigh a few rude or unpleasant comments. Welcome to the boards and know that your guinea pigs will live much richer lives for it.

I applaud you for putting your daughters happiness and that of your pets ahead of your living room carpeting.

I am sort of cautiously watching. I feel like I was written off as soon as I said that I bought our guinea pigs.

I have printed off the veggie chart and have it on our fridge.

We are going to build the C&C cage. My poor daughter has an AWFUL stomach virus that is going around. We've been stuck at home pretty much since Friday morning. No fun! Last night we went to the grocery store and she got sick to her stomach in the store, I felt so badly for her. I'd much rather be the sick one.

I don't worry about things like carpet and spills..I have a two year old. If I did I'd be worried all the time. I love my Dustbuster. I also have a cockatiel and I can get his discarded pellets, feathers and dust up in a few minutes with it. Same with the guinea pigs, when I do the poop detail every few days..when I spill Carefresh I just clean it up.

We are really loving our guinea pigs. They are a great addition to our family.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.