Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Florida!

fffortescue

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone.
My name is Kayla and I'm from Florida.
I'm pretty new to guinea pigs and I've been looking into getting one.
I've been reading a bunch on this website and others to prepare myself.
I had a couple questions and I was hoping to get some answers. (And I also hope that asking questions and introducing myself in the same thread is okay)

I've read that they are much happier when you have at least two.
I was wondering if just one would be okay by itself for a while and then I could maybe upgrade to two or would getting two together right off the bat be best?
With my work schedule, the guinea pig would have attention every day until about 6pm. So, really, nights are the only time it'd be alone.

I know that a lot of curly haired breeds of different animals are hypoallergenic. Is this true for Texels? Or are curly haired guinea pigs different?

I was also wondering about using fleece. I absolutely love this idea, but I've read so many different things about what to put under the fleece. What would be the best for reducing odor? Would towels and puppy pads under the fleece do that? Or would a different combination be best?

Thanks!

fffortescue

Cavy Slave
I've just thought of another question that ties in with the previous question.
While I'd absolutely love a C&C cage, having one is a little out of my budget at the moment.
I've read that the Midwest cages are similar. They have one for sale at petco.
The only downside to the Midwest cages that I've read about is the canvas bottom stinking. Would using the fleece/puppy pads/towels/etc completely take care of that problem or would there still be a problem based purely on the fact that it isn't coroplast?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.