Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Australia!

mikikim

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I was able to adopt an adorable guinea pig today from the shelter :)
His name is Hammi (so original :tearsofjo) and he is 6 months. He is actually quite interesting as he is a short haired guinea pig but has really long back hair like a rats tail (on humans). His coat is very rough unlike my past guinea pigs but he is a big baby!
I was also able to pick up a free cage (3 stories) but it is obviously too small so I got some C&C cubes from my local bunnings store in Melbourne to extend it so now he lives in a 2x3 c&c length cage (will be expanding when I get his friend). He is enjoying the freedom but he needs an companion so I am currently in search of one but he is picky.

I am getting more necessaries and accessories from Waverley Wabbits (for anyone interested). He doesn't really like being picked up and I wish I could help him warm up to me. Even though I owned 2 guinea pigs before it's been 2 years and my skills are rusty so I would love to hear some advice from lovely forum members :) I will post pictures of my cavy and it's home soon!

I would also love to make new friends on here so don't be shy xD

Thank you!

Hi!, I also live in Australia :) (I live in Perth though). I have had my guinea pigs for 3 months and they warm up to you after a while :eek: And I would love to see pictures of him! And I have been looking in every Bunnings in the whole of Perth and I can't find ANY cubes :sad: Also a good way to get you guinea pig to warm up to you is hand feeding him. Get into a empty room without many items (Or a bathroom) and get some of his favourite veggies and place him in the room, place the veggies in front of you and wait. Usually on the first time they won't take it, if he doesn't eat the veggies put him back in his cage and don't give him the veggies. Do this and eventually he should eat them, once he does he gets to eat the veggies. The next time do the same thing but put the veggies in your hand and repeat, if he doesn't take them try again next time. (This worked for me :)) Eventually he will eat out of your hand and will trust you a bit more. If you have any questions you are always free to ask. :eek:

Hi MochaAndMoo!
I have to say, thank you so much for the advice I got on my other tread :D and this thread! I will definitely try this tomorrow since 8) it is 1:30am right now haha. Buntings here usually have it in stock but it's not popular (where I live) but there are plenty of cavy owners here who probably don't know anything about c&c cages :( they are also quite expensive Q_Q. I wonder, what kind of cage do you have?

At the moment I have just a normal guinea pig wooden hutch but soon I will be getting a c&c cage from the internet. And no problem :) And I have to agree, c&c cages are not a popular thing in Australia unfortunately. And how much did it cost you to get the grids from bunnings? Also be warned, buying your guinea pigs things gets addicting ahah. I spent all my Christmas money all on my spoilt pigs! I would love to see a picture of your piggy! He sounds cute!

Welcome from California!

Hey I'm also from Australia, WA to be exact :) My girls are currently in a store bought cage :( though I'm planning to get a c&c cage when I can find some grids !!! It's great that you adopted, would love to see some pictures. Good luck in finding a new friend.

Welcome! We love pictures around here and would love to see your little one.

Welcome and Hello from NZ! :)

Pigtures? :p

Hello and welcome!~ From Virginia, sounds so boring but that's me.

Hi, welcome from a fellow Melbournian!

If you're interested in adopting I can't go past recommending ACS-Melbourne, I adopted my Fizzy from her and they are fantastic and she has so many pigs at the moment so I'm sure she'd have a pig that would match up with yours (she does do 'dating', it took ages to find a pig that Emma would accept).

Hello everyone :)
thank you all for your replies!

MochaAndmoo- I bought a pack of 8 grids for $20, it is relatively expensive for just storage cubes but as a cage it is cheaper than the pet shops. There are a lot of breeders in my area who build their own hutches etc and sell for $50~ it's not surprising that I was influenced in adopting a guinea pig. :) a hutch + c&c run would be awesome! As for gifts for my cavy, you were too late xD already bought a heaps of stuff, haha.

Piggies010-Hello! I think as long as you handle it a lot and give it plenty of floor time, it'd still be a happy piggy 8D

Aertyn- Hiii! I was actually looking up their site for their Melbourne sanctuary but it seems to be out of service... If you could i'd love to know where they're located and such... A lot of their forms and enquires for a guinea pig is out of order so Im not sure what to do D:

They have a very active FB page. They are located in the Hurstbridge/Diamond Creek area (outer northern suburbs) (I'm about 20km as the crow flies from her). They are also listed on petrescue.com.au. But the FB page is the easiest way to get in contact with them.

https://www.facebook.com/chuffnut.cavies?ref=ts&fref=ts

Oh, their location is an hour and half away... I don't think I can do multiple trips but I'll try it once :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.