Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all!

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone.

I'm so glad I found this site. I have learned so much here already and I've only been reading up for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I too am a purchaser of a piggie from a pet store, but we are in need of a piggie friend for CharleyCharley and I'm most definitely going to find somewhere to adopt him from.

I got CharleyCharley for my stepdaughter in Nov. '08. He is pictured in my avatar. She had graduated over the years from a mouse to a hamster to another hamster and now, to a guinea. She is 15 and very responsible. She has proven herself to be a very good pet owner which was a major stipulation to getting a guinea pig. CharleyCharley is hers, but I love him like he is my own.

Last night, I got the 9-holed Organize-Its from Target (they're still selling 'em by me) and made CharleyCharley a play area in our living room complete with shower liner, mattress pad, and fleece topping. It's a 3 by 4 area and he loves it.

Also, we did a major clean up of the CharleyCharley's tuckus complete with q-tips and mineral oil. Each time I read a new thread, I learn something new. The q-tips and mineral oil definitely helped clean up the impacted anal sac and he was minimally distressed. We rubbed his belly and made sure he got an extra yummy salad for being so good.

I don't think I have any questions just yet...I simply keep reading threads and learning as I go. I'm planning on building a c & c cage for CharleyCharley and his potential new friend (I'm still convincing "Dad" that CharleyCharley needs a partner. Right now he is in a huge rabbit cage from the pet store--which--had I known better in Nov., I would've just made the c & c cage from the start. But better late than never, I say. At any rate, my stepdaughter is totally excited about a new cage and a possible new piggie that she wants it all done last week! lol But of course, financially, well, we just have to bide our time--we'll get there though--I'm fairly confident of that.

Anyhoo...I just wanted to say, "Thanks!" to all of you for your insight, tips, helpful hints, and otherwise educational information. It's making for one happy piggie and one happy piggie family. Hopefully...two happy piggies in the near future.

Thanks, again!

Jenileigh

Cavy Slave
Welcome! This is a great place. I'm still reading and learning myself. I love our Guinea's too. They are really growing up a storm and doing really well. I've only had ours around a month. I have two Abyssinians, do you know what kind you have? Again, welcome!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
What a nice and thoughtful intro post! Welcome!

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
I think CharleyCharley is just a short-haired guinea.

And I have an update too. We've just gotten our 2nd guinea. He looks very similar to CharleyCharley. He's mostly brown, short-haired, has a ring of white around the face and down his nose. His name is Riley or Little Guy and we believe he is around 3 months old. Pictures will be posted as soon as my stepdaughter uploads them from her camera.

They are currently quarantined and will be for the next 3 weeks.

Thanks again for all your fabulous information!

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Welcome, and you will surely find any help you need here. This is one of the most helpful caring and passionate communities I've had a privilege to be a part of.

Jenileigh

Cavy Slave
Oh how exciting! I can't to wait to see the new guinea! lol

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
Jenileigh,

A pic of Riley, our new edition, has been posted.

:)

Clarion

Cavy Slave
Both your babies are adorable! Welcome and have fun with your new guys!

tup86

Cavy Slave
Welcome, you're little guys are beautiful! I've learnt a lot from this site already and I'm sure you'll find it really useful too.

Once you get your boys into a C&C you'll see a whole load of popcorning - it's really magical the first time they explore their new world!

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
I know. I finally found a place near work that has coroplast for $16.00 a sheet. I don't know if I can get it into my car. At any rate, as soon as I get it home, my stepdaughter and I are all ready to get building a c&c cage. I'm thinking we'll make a double-decker of some sort. I've been scanning the pics on the site to find a cage that I love.

piggiesmomma

Cavy Slave
Awwww, charliecharlie looks like my Mr Piggie only opposite. So cute! I am going to find that picture of Riley now.

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I find this site very interesting myself.

Aw, your piggies are so cute! CharleyCharley looks just like one of mine, Henry.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you're doing an excellent job! If money is an issue, fleece is the way to go. I would also strongly recommend setting aside some money for an emergency vet fund. Vet care can add up quickly.

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
Oh man! Would you believe that I bought the last 9x9 grid cages that Target had and now they're selling those other ones y'all are warning us about! UGH!! Now I've got to find another place that sells them or buy 'em online.

I did go to the plastics place today. They are cutting a piece of coroplast for me to size (he knew it was for a guinea cage :) ). I gave him the dimensions for the 4x2 cage. And, then he will give me all the extra coroplast that was left over from the large piece he cut it from. I get to pick it up tomorrow. It's turquoise and will match my stepdaughter's room very nicely.

So, I was wondering...do you think I could buy those Target grids and use them for everything EXCEPT for the sides of the cage? For example...I can use them for the bottom of the upper level (because it will be covered with coroplast). Or, I could use the 8x8 grids to make the bottom storage area for food stuff, extra bedding, etc. Because, really, I only need 12 of the 9x9 grids to set up the 4x2 c&c cage. Hmmmm....this may take some finagling. Dang it...nope...that's wrong. I'd need more 9x9 grids for the upper level, if I make one. UGH...okay...back to the drawing board. I need to find some of the places y'all mention here to find some more of those 9x9 grids again.

Sorry for the brainstorming out loud...

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, the grids with wider holes can be used for stands or the bottom of the cage. You also might be able to overlap them to make smaller holes (like babyproofing).

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
I just made my cavy cage! I just made my cavy cage! I found another box of grids at Bed, Bath and Beyond--the last box there, too! I had them put it on hold for me and told the hubby to go pick it up after work. I've been working on the cage since 6:30 this evening. It's 12:30 am and it is done. My stepdaughter is with her mom for the weekend--and BOY, is she gonna be surprised when she gets home Monday morning and sees that monstrous 2 story C&C cage in her room!!! Unfortunately, she's got the digital camera, so I've got to wait until she gets home to show y'all pictures.

It's 2x4 with a second story of 1x2 and we bent 2 grids to make a ramp for them to go up to the kitchen area. I put the ramp slightly in the middle of the 2nd story so the piggers will have lots of running room below without the ramp hampering the flow. They can run the full rectangle. The ramp hinges up and the entire 2nd story hinges backwards so I can clean the bottom out without any problem. I'm so stoked about this new cage. And the best thing? You can pet a pig when you walk by!!! He's not stuck behind bars! You just reach your hand in!! I LOVE IT!

So, when both piggers are together, do I need to have separate feeding places for them--like two bowls of pellets, two bowls of water, two spots for veggies, etc? I'm planning on getting 2 of the glass water bottles I read about in another post--but Riley and CharleyCharley both like to drink out of bowls of water. I really don't know if I need the water bottles.

I am so glad I found this site. I'm gonna have some seriously happy piggies!!!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Two feeding places will make it more likely that they will get along. You don't absolutely need two, but if you're worried about them getting along, two of everything is a good idea.

Bowls of water will get dirty very quickly. I would definitely recommend the bottles. The water buddy brand works great for me.

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
Thanks, aks.

Does anybody else's hubbies look at you funny for all the work you go through making things nice for your piggers? I have to say--today, I went to Ross to look at some fleeces for the piggers' new cage. I came home with 2 $5 fleeces--one is green camoflage and the other is blue with skulls and crossbones and stars on it. I was so proud of my purchase because their both "boyish" themes (because I currently have the cage lined with pink flowered fleece--that's all we had) and DH just laughed at me. :)

Oh well. Now I just need a sewing machine! Or a friend who sews! :)

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks, aks.

Does anybody else's hubbies look at you funny for all the work you go through making things nice for your piggers? I have to say--today, I went to Ross to look at some fleeces for the piggers' new cage. I came home with 2 $5 fleeces--one is green camoflage and the other is blue with skulls and crossbones and stars on it. I was so proud of my purchase because their both "boyish" themes (because I currently have the cage lined with pink flowered fleece--that's all we had) and DH just laughed at me. :)

Oh well. Now I just need a sewing machine! Or a friend who sews! :)

My hubby thinks I have lost my mind!:crazy: He says since Gina and Semaj is here they get all of the time that should be his (yeah right). This morning I was cleaning and changing themes when he came down stairs and he just shook his head. I told him (and I quote) I give you the same time now that you give me during football season..NONE! :D My 13 year old on the other hand is glad we have the girls, it's more time he and I spend together, but I have recently noticed that when he picks the girls up he breaks out in hives, so his interaction with them is limited now and he is so sad. He will pick them up anyway and once he gets to itching he runs and rub down with antibacterial and coritzone. Poor baby.

charliecharlie

Cavy Slave
Funny story:

The other day, I was on Facebook talking about the new baby guinea and a co-worker of mine linked to that link with all the Guinea Pig clothes on it. Someone here linked to it as well. At any rate, DH saw the link and responded, "It figures you would have already found the Guinea Gap!" :)

Gotta love it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.