Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all

Cellomama

Cavy Gazer
SO, its been probably close to ten years since I've had pigs but I didn't have a choice after I heard their story. I picked up two little guys yesterday after discovering they were going to be "thrown into a field or the trash." Now i have come across these types of people in the past who just say that they will do that but I think this guy was serious. He kept telling me he appreciated me taking them but anything I didn't take he was throwing out. He was having some marital difficulties, which I understand, but thats never an excuse to take it out on an innocent animal.
Anyway, after picking them up and getting some new supplies, we headed home to build the cage. At the moment the cage is a 2x3 grid CC, which I know is too small for them, but since this was last minute and I didn't have a cage I had to work with what he gave me. Their cage was bigger but I had no chloroplast for the bottom since he got rid of that and have two cats that have never seen guinea pigs so I needed to make a cover for their safety. Also we are hoping we can keep them but I am allergic to hay so I will be doing some research to see if orchard grass would be acceptable or if their is some other option. I was itching right after we set up the cage and fed them yesterday.
The other twist to this is I found some paper work mixed in with the supplies I did get and it turns out they were adopted from a humane society. Needless to say I contacted them this morning to let them know what happened and hopefully they will not be able to adopt again. I also informed them of my allergy and if I can't figure out how to live with it they will of course take them back but that will be an absolute last resort. It also turns out that I am at least their fourth home in the 4-5 years they've been alive which I really can't understand because although they are understandably a little hand shy right now they are extremely sweet.
I'm hoping to get a bunch of updated ideas on cages and care through this site to be able to finally be their forever home.
The dominant is an abby the kids named Spunk and an american they named Elf. (My kids are two and four :)

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Orchard is totally acceptable for guinea pigs, as is blue grass and meadow grass. Places like Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft and Oxbow sell varieties of hay cheaper than you'd be able to find at a local store unless you've got farmers around you who grow those hays.

Some things may have changed since the last time you were a pet owner, so here's the recommended reading list:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Cellomama

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much! I will be looking those up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.