Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Heavily Pregnant

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I don't know if you know about anything like this, or know someone who would...I was thinking. He has the most issues when I'm feeding him and after. He walks in circles and cries. But he doesn't have issues before or randomly through the day. Could his food mix be getting into his ears somehow through his poorly developed body and causing pain? Maybe it's something like that. Tomorrow I'm going to the vet to pick up oxbows critical care, they were out and had to order it for me. I'm currently scared to feed him. I wish I could understand him better. I've been trying to read as much as I can about lethal, but all are different, and information says to do different things. Is critical care worth the money, or is food mixes just as good?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't really know whether Critical Care is worth it or not. So little is known about lethals that there's really no good source of information on them. And even when they eat, they may not be metabolizing all the nutrients the way their bodies need. If he's gaining, I'd keep on with what you're doing, but see if you can sneak some veggie tastes in there so he'll get used to them.

I tend to doubt that there's a deformity that lets the food get into his ear. I think you'd have seen a major infection before now, if that were the case.

Can he eat from a spoon or a plate at all? I think RodentCuddles feeds at least one of hers from a plate.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
He can a little, but he has issues picking things up because he no teeth. The other pigs eat it before he can. If I isolate him it upsets him so much that he won't eat, He just walks around crying.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Syringe feeding agitates his ear, and I don't know why. But if he eats pellets on his own He doesn't have a problem. He can't eat enough to sustain himself though. Eating soft food from a spoon would take him a life time.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
How is Mouse today?

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
He's doing good. He's eating a little from a spoon now. I'm feeding him in his natural position now... instead of him being upright with the towel. And for some reason, that may not be ear related, his ears seem better that way. He's 157 grams. Thanks for asking about him!! uploadfromtaptalk1398467877519.jpg

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh he's so cute! Go mouse! Really pulling for him.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Thanks! He's getting fuzzy, and so soft. His ears are yucky because of his medicine, not because of his ear issues.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mouse is so cute! You're doing a great job looking after him.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Yay! Glad to hear. Hope it's all smooth sailing from here on out. We do need a daily update though....with photos of course :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad Mouse is doing well, he looks like an adorable fluffy cotton ball!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Mouse is my joy.
uploadfromtaptalk1398643016526.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398643041311.jpg

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Love him <3
What a cutie! Makes my heart melt.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I so wish I could upload videos. He has the cutest chatter that he does all day.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
He should be a model, he's a handsome little fur ball!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
I so wish I could upload videos. He has the cutest chatter that he does all day.

You could upload it to YouTube or something and then link that page here. :)

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Most would say he is a gene mistake. He's not worth all the time He takes hand feeding, and the expensive vet visits. My counter is stacked high with his different food mixes, syringes, scales, weight charts, pedialyt bottles. I've searched and searched for a piggy to bond with since I lost my 5 year old pig Carliee a year ago. I could never find one to bond with since her. I have pigs in my home, but They are rescues, and I just haven't bonded. With Mouse it was instant, even before bpatters questioned his little eyes and made me wonder. The moment I saw him all yucky and shaking lol I wouldn't want him any other way. I wish life was easier for him of course. Well...I wish it was easier for me too!! Syringe feeding every 3 hours can be repetitive. But then also, he is' Mouse' because of his differences. I love him so much, and I've only known him for two weeks. Now I've rambled. I guess I'm just upset at all the lethal's who had their life taken from them just because the breeders didn't want to be responsible for their actions. It's so heart breaking.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll make a YouTube!

GuineaBoys

Cavy Slave
So glad Mouse is doing better!! He is such a cutie, and lucky to have such a caring mom =). Look forward to seeing his youtube!

GuineaBoys

Cavy Slave
So now my head is turning regarding critical care being a permanent thing for Mouse and the expense of it. I am not familiar with lethals so forgive me if this thought is not a good idea.
I've just ordered a 45lb bag of hay from KMS Hayloft, which has several pounds of dust...which is technically powdered hay. So I was thinking, I could ship you my dust and you could basically make your own critical care since Mouse doesn't really need critical care because hes sick, he just needs a mush...or perhaps he does need it right now, but wont in the future. You could crush some vitamin C pills to add to the dust, and (potentially) blend veggies so that he could get in some other nutrients. If a regular blender or food processor couldn't make the veggies into a good mush, I'm sure a baby food blender could. What do y'all think?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.