Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Heart Disease and Vegetarians

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Let me start with: I'm not a vegetarian. However, I found this very interesting and thought I would share it with you guys~

I was reading msnbc.com the other morning (maybe yesterday) and came across an article about heart disease and vegetarians. The article basically said that research was conducted and they have found that countries where the diet consists of mostly (not entirely - but mostly) of fruits and vegetables (and fish) have a MUCH lower risk of heart disease, and thus heart attacks, etc. I found this VERY interesting. They said in places like Asia, for example, etc. out of 100,000 people, they only had about 75 cases of heart disease. However in countries like this one (USA) where meat is a main staple of diet, there are about 177 cases of heart disease out of every 100,000 people. YIKES!! Now, our country also has an obesity problem too, so I know that doesn't help. Vegetarians can be tempted to eat a dozen donuts and potato chips too, so it wouldn't stop that, but a vegetarian lifestyle has to be more healthy even if you aren't trying to be healthy!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Vegetarians can be tempted to eat a dozen donuts and potato chips too, so it wouldn't stop that

I find now that I'm veg I am more aware of what I eat and I am less likely to do that. I have no clue why, it just kind of happened. Now when my husband starts mowing down on chips I grap a cantalope and a ginger cookie or two.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.