Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HEAPS of longhair guinea pigs at local rspca shelter! how to NOT let longhairs end up

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys,

I couldn't believe today when I saw that someone has handed in a HEAP of longhair peruvians to our local rspca! Filthy peruvians to by the looks with matts and staining and all look underweight and stragly! They definitely would be pedigree no doubt about it it's just so careless to just offload excess stock or an entire stud onto the rspca like this person has without trying to find homes first ( whether the person was a backyard breeder or a registered breeder ) that's what frustrates me more than anything...as if the rspca don't have enough on their hands they are such a dumping ground for lazy ppl that don't put in the effort themselves first with finding their animals good new homes if they cannot keep them themselves.--it's a prime example of how sow many breeders simply DON'T CARE where their excess " stock " as they're called, end up...especially longhair breeds!

I just can't believe the state of some of these longhairs I know I've seen worse but yeah this is a prime example of why so many people should not buy longhair guinea pigs unless they have done research on them and are willing to care for their continuously growing coat.

I've contacted the rspca offering help to bath them and clean them up but it seems they're right onto them apparently the vet is bathing them, mite treating them and giving them all a nice coat clipping so it's good to see theyre finally getting some decent care. I just hope they find decent new homes!

Anyhow here's the link.... I really have to refrain from adopting any...I don't want to but I WILL REFRAIN:sorry: .

(broken link removed)

*~jess~*

Last edited:
Re: HEAPS of longhair guinea pigs at local rspca shelter! how to NOT let longhairs end up

Your link is not specific enough.

Re: HEAPS of longhair guinea pigs at local rspca shelter! how to NOT let longhairs end up

I just edited the post and put a different link in...hope this one works?

*~jess~*

Jess, that is awful. I think it was wonderful for you to at least offer your time and knowledge to help the pigs.

Look at the brighter side of things, you are not there, giving them baths, and trying to decide which ones you personally can save. :)

I hope they are all going to be ok and find homes that will love and appreciate them forever.

It doesn't seem to go to the site.

I think this link is the only one that will work

(broken link removed)

Just click on " view all other animals available for adoption " and the guinea pigs are on page 4,5,6.

That is how I was able to get my Matilda. A woman was breeding Coronets.
She dropped off 20 of them, sick and in bad shape. All but 4 died. My Matilda was one of the 4. Her brother, just went to a new home this past Sat. The other 2 found homes before Matilda did. I took Matilda home on Oct. 15th. I wanted her brother too, but I cannot take another boar.

Another case of not to breed. I sure hope all get new and good homes.

I would adopt some if I lived closer (Im in sydney), Im afiaid, australia's guinea pig problem will just get worse if people continue to irresponsibly breed.

Keep us updated on their condition, I hope every thing goes well.

They really are some beautiful pigs, if you could figure out how to get a comb in there!?!

How are all your other piggie cases doing?

Hey Guys!

I'll give an update very soon on the other piggies especially the 7 guinea pigs that came in in a pretty severe state of neglect...I think you'll be over the moon once you see the updates. It's been raining here all week but as soon as it clears I'll do a post for everyone:cheerful:.

With regards to the RSPCA pigs just posted here in the message well I have some fantastic news! ALL the guinea pigs that were surrendered in have now been adopted from the RSPCA. A lady from the rspca called me this afternoon and told me they had an ad in the local courier mail and the response was overwhelming...so overwhelming that she has offered to send anyone else that calls straight to me ( which was very kind of them so hopefully some of the current adoptables here may have a home arrive sooner than thought ).

I probably would have been more careful with regards to where " longhair " coated breeds go and considering every single pig got adopted today I can't see how the screening process could have been that well done ( don't get me wrong I'm not judging its fantastic homes were found for them all )...these longhairs look like they came from alot of neglect coat wise though and I guess the guinea pigs here take a bit longer to leave the sanctuary there's no way one could be adopted out so quick really. So much screening and general questions are asked when someone enquires about one of the adoptables and usually this goes on for a few days to a week until i am 100% sure that the family is right for the particular pig they are interested in and for a permanent home long term for the pigs. It can only take one small thing to go wrong for a guinea pig to end up at the rainbow bridge ( e.g. if a person enquires and lets me know they have a lovely large lawn cage....well I'll ask further details such as is their yard fenced? Is it predator proof, is it weather proof etc as the guinea pigs can have all the room in the world but if they are not secure then their lives are at risk ) I really like to see a thorough job done basically I guess.

*~jess~*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.