Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay poke or cataracts?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
My Daisy has one eye that suddenly turned a bluish color. There is a little bit of discharge coming from the inner corner of the eye, but it is not crusty. I asked one of the other girls from our rescue and she said it is most likely a hay poke. I am worried because it is a holiday weekend, so my vet won't be open, and I can't access Guinea Lynx while I am at work (which is where I am right now). Has anyone else experienced this? How likely is it that this is a hay poke and not cataracts?

Most likely it's a hay poke if it is all of a sudden. And I'm pretty sure cataracts doesn't cause discharge. The good news is you don't need an exotics vet if it's an eye injury or infection, any small animal vet should be able to help. Just make sure to check the dangerous medications list on Guinea Lynx if they want to give any oral medications (which is unlikely for an eye problem anyway).

When my pig had hay poke the other week, he had a clear liquid discharge coming out of the eye. The vet will likely put a coloured 'ink' in the eye to see any scratches. Then they should prescribe some eye drops. It's not a huge problem, an easy fix. (At least in my case)

I'd suggest a vet visit so they can examine the eye to make sure there's no debris left in the eye or under the lid. I personally had an eye poke from a dogwood twig. I went in to urgent care and there was bits of debris right in the wound they had to remove. Better to have it checked out than risk an infection or permanent eye damage.

Any good vet should be able to treat an eye injury. Just don't let them give the pig oral antibiotics.

I will definitely schedule an appointment Monday to have it looked at.

If you have to wait a while, I suggest plain eye gel from a pharmacist. In shouldn't be medicated, but it provides some relief and lubrication to the eye. Worked when one of my babies got a hay poke)

Her eye is almost cleared up as of today. Maybe a vet visit isn't necessary, and she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. She is still her normal ornery self.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.