Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hairless guinea pigs.

Casper- No one is going to agree with you, because it just isn't worth trying to argue sometimes. Look at all of the guinea pigs in shelters- we don't need to keep breeding... Even if it is to better the breed...

Last edited:
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
slap_maxwell said:
It will make 50% skinnies and 50% skinny carriers, which have wirey hair, and have the same immune problems.

If a hairless cavy is bred to a "regular" cavy, it will result in 100% hairless carrier babies.

If the "haired" cavy carries the hairless gene, then, as slap mentioned it would be statistically 50/50.

Matt

Our pup is growing healthy and strong. Momma and Daddy are doing great as well. Regardless of what I hear - I love my skinny and I love my guineas.... Thanks for the information everyone - whether it was good or bad info - it's all good to know...

Thanks for the back up on the skinny, caspertheghost, my skinny pig is raring to go...loveable...and healthy! As you said there is no reason to feel sorry for them - they are just like the others - and need a lil' extra "watch"!

caspertheghost said:
There is NO reason to feel sorry for hairless cavies! Breeders are breeding them with Americans, to get hardy, & healthy hairless guinea pigs! A lot of you don't have knowledge about how hardy they are getting due to breeding!

There is no need to continue breeding these pigs - they are a mutation that need extra care. THe die easily because owners buy them liking their quirkyness without realising the extra care they need.

My lethal white is a happy little boar, who loves cuddling with his brother, floor time, Critical Care, parsley stems, being petted, and talking on the phone. That doesn't mean I think everyone should have a lethal or that people should continue irresponsibly breeding roans and/or dalmatians together and getting lethals. I would be delighted if there were no lethals born, ever, at all. Skinnies are the same way. Individual pigs can live happy lives with extra care, but why breed a litter of pigs you know will have a harder life, just for your own greed?

Well.... thanks.....and good bye

Sabriel, first I need to say, I love that movie. All right, moving on.
Skinnies: A horrible genetic experiment that, although they may be sweeties, should be permitted to die out as a breed. They are unhealthy and if hairless animals were meant to be that way, they would have been that way from the beginning of time, not from ten years ago in our labs. As for Jenkajoe, good luck with the birth, maybe you'll wake up and smell the overpopulation problems and birthing dangers when your little momma pig becomes fatally ill in pregnancy and you have three very unhealthy skinnies on your hands that cost you thousands of dollars each year because of their broken down immune system.

It is just sad that people continue to breed these animals. We have several in the rescue and we love each and every one of them. But they do have special needs. At the Pet Expo this weekend, we ran into a skinny breeder who had over 50 of them. Needless to say, we did not know how to respond to her in a way that would not have gotten us thrown out.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
So what? They should have never been bred, or continue being bred. They are a novelty item for most, and have really weak immune systems.

While I agree that every piggy deserves to live. I would honestly be happy if they were extinct. I feel so bad for them and they don't deserve the agony they go through, by their genetics, and by people who don't know about them. In the wild, animals who are born with mutations that are not advantageous to the species die off. This is how it is "survival of the fittest", so why are we interfering in what should be their natural course. Oh..right, cause we made them. This reinterrates my point even further. We had caused an injustice towards these piggies. We should stop trying to play god and let them die. Simple as that.

I don't breed animals... but I wish the fervor of this attitude was also put towards adopting children. There is an overpopulation of orphans in this world yet we continue to breed and have children. Children are mistreated all over the world and are in need of good homes. People watch meet your meat videos but do you turn the channel when children are poor and hungry? Do you have children of your own? I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just putting this in there. I don't even know which way I go on this one... but boy its food for thought isn't it? I don't have children of my own but will I? Probably someday... why? An overwhelming biological and emotional desire to further my species and teach a child what I know.. I could do that by adopting a nice little girl from asia, whose Mommy didn't want her because she is a girl. Or.. I could not breed, and tell everyone else not to breed.. and then everyone in the world will grow up and die from old age and there goes our species.. hmmmm.. could be the same with piggies..

Wheekwheek
On neither side of the fence...

OK...I'm sorry but I have to be brutally honest. That is the most over simplified load of horse crap. You can't compare the two. It is apples to oranges. Please don't confuse the issues.

Let's say some scientist decided it would be cool to create a new species of children that were born with a tail and hair so that they could test on them. Then all of sudden, everyone wanted one of these new designer kids. So more are created. Do you see where I am going with this? These pigs were created...a lab experiment. It would be best for them if the breed did die out. I love the ones we hae in the rescue, and I am not wishing them dead...I would just hope that the people who continue to breed them will one day wake up with smack of the reality stick and understand that what they are doing.

I think that was a general comment on breeding. And if it was it is kinda true. We go on about how pigs don't need to breed and don't have a biological clock. They they don't know any better about over population. Some have gone so far as to call some pigs bad parents. But how easy is it to turn that argument around on ourselves?

They made a very interesting statement in the Matrix. They stated that humans are not a mammal, instead we were classified as a virus by outsiders looking in. As much as I love my fellow man and as much as I want a child of my own, that thought does make you think. What other animal causes so much dispair and creates so much evil in this world?

Food for thought.

It takes a human to make a pitiful breed of pigs that are doomed to a life of medical problems. It certainly wasn't natural.

Sabriel said:
They stated that humans are not a mammal, instead we were classified as a virus by outsiders looking in.

That makes very, very good sence.

That and for some reason I just really really liked Agent Smith as a character.

THE LLAMA WAS ONE OF THE FIRST MAMMALS ON EARTH!!!
oops... a bit random....
I sometimes wish I had a bladwin or a skinny... They're not cute but not hideous.

They're very expensive pets and are usually twice as much work as a hairy gp.

About the virus thing, I've heard about that in a documentary. It was a theory that we would cause our own extinction by spreading out all over the earth like a virus & wipe out all resources. And you know...it's is possible. There's the extinction of the original inhabitants of Easter Island for example (again, another documentary). They ended up using their last resources (wood) to help create & move those giant statues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.