Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelters Guinea Pig Shelters/Rescues in Illinois

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
HelloI've been wanting to adopt 2 guinea pigs for awhile now. I want to adopt a pair that will really get along, so I was thinking to adopt 2 females or a neutered boar with a female (which would be better...?). The problem is, it seems like there's only 1 guinea pig shelter in Illinois: Critter Correl. I looked on their website, and they don't seem to have a phone number listed. I have many questions that I want to ask them, but I have no idea how to contact them. They don't even say how many guinea pigs they have. The website literally just says to make an appointment if interested in adopting. I don't want to drive all the way there (pretty far from where I live) if I don't even know what to expect. I've heard a lot of people say that you need to show them the enclosure you're gonna be keeping them in, the food that's gonna be fed, etc. How does that work? I just really want to ask them how everything works, the fees, etc. Has anybody ever been to this shelter/rescue? It's the one in Steger, Illinois. If you have, any info on them would really help. If you know any other rescues or shelters located in Illinois, I would love to hear those, too!Thanks :)

They have two email addresses and one snail mail address listed on their web page. Try one of them.

Most rescues are run out of people's homes, and many of them work full time. They don't have a lot of time to spend on the phone talking to prospective adopters, and most of them have some documents outlining their adoption processes, etc. They could send those to you if they have them.

Good job being so thorough! I don't live in Illinois, but I wanted to say that if there are other shelters in your area, it might be worth calling to check if they have any guinea pigs/know where does. Most animal shelters get all kinds of pets abandoned there, and even if they might not keep the guinea pigs that are surrendered to them, they have to transfer them somewhere. Also, a lot of shelters do have guinea pigs, but not as many as they have dogs/cats so the guinea pigs aren't advertised as much.

If there really aren't any closer shelters, you can also try Craigslist, people rehome guinea pigs on there all the time. You'll want to ask anyone you adopt from on there lots of questions, though, to be sure they're not a backyard breeder.

Also, I think that 2 sows or a neutered boar and a sow work equally well, though if possible you'll want to get an already-bonded pair.

Good luck, and thank you for being so thorough! I'm sure your eventual piggies will be very happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.