Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelters Guinea pig shelter 2 weeks, or friend for 2 days and one week

aden_al

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have two female babies Oktavia (the submissive) and Altaria Monserrat (the dominant, she's crested). I have to go outside of the USA from Friday October 18th to Friday October 25th (I can't change the dates). There's a shelter for guinea pigs where I got my babies and they have boarding so I can leave them there for a while when I'm abroad. Since it is run by volunteers, they ONLY open on Saturdays from 9 to 5. This means that if I want to use their services I need to drop my babies on the shelter for boarding I would need to drop them on Saturday October 12 and pick them up on Saturday October 26, which is two full weeks. I'm going to take care of my friends dogs (in his apartment) for like 4 days (going there and walking them), so he will kind of owe me one.

My dilemma is the following:

1) Leave the guinea pigs at the shelter boarding for two full weeks.
  • PROS: they'll be surrounded by a lot of guinea pigs (my babies will have their own cage, but they'll see and her other guinea pigs) so any stress of not being at home may fade faster. They also came from that shelter, so it may trigger some memories (hopefully positive since the ladies there seem to be very attentive).
  • CONS: I will be without babies for like 6 days.

2) Since I leave on a Thursday, I can drop off my babies with my friend on Thursday and he can take care of them Thursday Oct 17 and Friday Oct 18 and then drop off the guinea pigs at the shelter. They would stay at the shelter for a week. The problem with leaving them with my friend is that he has dogs and the dogs bark and are noisy (they may not even notice them, but still, the guinea pigs will be in a completely unfamiliar environment with 2 huge beasts that they may hear.
  • PROS: I will not be without guinea pigs for a long time.
  • CONS: they may get stressed by being with him (even if it's 2 days) due to the roaming beasts barking. I'm sure they'll be perfectly safe though.

The option of using other boarding options is not available. I don't really trust other places.

I'm inclined to choose 1. What do you think?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I vote for option 1 as well.

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
Option 1. Better to your pigs in an environment that they're semi-familiar with and with people who know how to take care of them.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I also would go with option 1. My piggies loved staying at the rescue when I was on vacation and having lots of other piggies to talk too. They were much more communicative there than at home where it was just the two of them. They probably didn't even want to come home when I got back.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
I think you should just do the shelter. Even tho its extra days i think it'll be better on the piggies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.