Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig bites when it's time to go home

biscuitpig

Cavy Gazer
I've had my guinea pig Biscuit for about 6 months now. She has for the most part warmed up to me picking her up, petting her, etc. and will cuddle up to me when I take her out of her cage. The problem is, when I try to pick her up to put her back in her cage she lunges at me and attacks my hands. These bites can be quite hard so lately i've been using a towel to scoop her up when it's time to go back to her cage but sometimes she bites me through the towel as well :sad: Any suggestions on how to correct/change/prevent this behavior? She has a big cage, plenty of food/water/hay and always seems happy to be back home so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
How are you picking her up, out of curiosity?

biscuitpig

Cavy Gazer
I try to scoop under her and get her back end supported with one hand while the other is more towards her head/chest area. The problem is, as soon as she feels me getting anywhere close to any of her legs, or her butt she immediately bites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd treat her for mites. They often set up housekeeping on the pig's back and legs, and they can make a pig mighty cranky.

Also, if she doesn't bite when you're taking her out of the cage, what's the difference in the way you're picking her up then as opposed to picking her up from your lap?

biscuitpig

Cavy Gazer
there is no difference in the way i'm grabbing her from her cage vs from my lap. She never bites me when picked up from the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.