Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Got rid of fleece.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I used boxo once and HATED IT! It's very fine and has a powdery dust to it..

Thats odd, are you sure we're talking about the same bedding? The boxo I used was exactly like CF, but way cheaper!

cam767

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about switching the fleece in my kitchen (rest of cage will remain fleece). Not sure what I'm going to use yet. It's not that it smells but my pigs are big time slobs!! There is poo and food and everything else all over the fleece. Of course the litter is spotless. They don't use that at all. They will literally put their front paws on the side of the litter box and reach over to get the hay. But when they are not eating hay they will climb in the litter box. >( I don't get it at all. But seriously I can't stand that they drag their food off the plates and then eat it off the fleece with poop right next to it. :sick: We do clean their kitchen before each feeding (so twice a day) but you know how pigs are while they are eating. By the time they get done it looks like it hasn't been cleaned in over a week. Ugh....

SquareWheels30

Cavy Slave
CF is too expensive, I might use boxo, as long as it doesn't get too pricey.
What is boxo? I've seen it mentioned several times in this thread and I'm really curious because I don't have the slightest idea of what it could be.

Thanks very much!

blackcat1313

Cavy Slave
1frankie7, I know how winter can be cold. A little trick.. try to match the cage changing with the tub cleaning time. I'm shaking the cage liner over the bath tub, then i just have to sweep it off and clean the tub. I did that when it was raining hard other day. Works just perfect! I try to pick up as much as possible before removing it from cage, Doby playing with my hand at same time, thus it takes longer cause I also take the time to play with him. It's a 2 for 1 !

This is great! I was thinking about what I was going to do during the winter when I couldn't run to the trash outside (out of not wanting to freeze my buns off).

Fleece is a pain to clean for me, but only as far as getting the hay off of it. I usually run it outside and shake it over the dead lawn near my front door or over the garbage can outside.

lissie

Cavy Slave
What is boxo? I've seen it mentioned several times in this thread and I'm really curious because I don't have the slightest idea of what it could be.

Thanks very much!

It's a brand of bedding. I've never been able to find it in the US. I believe it's only available in Canada.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Fleece isn't that bad. I can clean two 2x5's plus two kitchen areas in half an hour easily - that includes removing dirty fleece/towels, replacing with fresh fleece/towels, emptying kitchen areas, scrubbing kitchen areas and replacing with fresh litter. It lasts a week between cleans (far longer than anything I got with shavings to be honest) and looks good. My pigs are good at not burrowing as I tuck the fleece well underneath the towels. So no problems there. Saying that, I am seriously thinking about ordering two Piggy BedSpreads - they would cut down on HEAPS of time. Just put clean bedspread in, and change out a week later. You don't have the problem of poops going down the sides between the corflute and fleece, you don't have the problem of burrowing pigs or trying to get the fleece pegged to the corflute or mucking around trying to get the towels right.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I have 16 piggies in 2 cages (11 in one and 5 in another). I have found that an hour a day is all I need for cage cleaning. I made fleece pads with mattress pads as the backing. I simply remove all objects from the cage, shake out all the liners and put new ones in. My 2x15 cage takes 30 minutes and my 2x7 cage takes 15 minutes. I don't even need to remove the pigs as they now know that they have to move to different sides of the cage. Then I take 15 minutes filling food and water and I am done. I have to do 3 loads of laundry for the pigs everyday but I don't mind. So, every single day they get a complete cage change and it only takes an hour of my time. :)

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I use a fleece pad on on each side of the cage because there is a grid in between. The fleece pads consist of fleece on top, a cotton throw rug in between and flannel on the underside so they pretty much are reversable, they are sewn together and I did it myself so very cheap. I grab all four corners into the middle, dump it into the garbage can with the layer of newspaper on the bottom of the cage and into the wash the pads go. I have small pads for their huts which I change every day. I clean the cage with a vinegar water spray in their own spray bottle, put down a layer of newspapers and the fleece pad goes on top. The cage process takes less than ten minutes for the two of them and I wash once a week for them changing the cage every 3-4 days. They each have three fleece pads and it is really easy. The cage sits in my family room and is 7 feet wide and very very rarely do I smell it and if I do it's my own fault and it has gone a day longer than it should have. Hope this helps just a little. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.