Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers got my new C&C cage but the lid sags in the middle

ACHlove

Cavy Slave
sooo I ordered the grids to make a C&C cage and they came in today but apparently my dumb self can't count because I didn't order enough to make it as big as I planned lol. I was able to make it a 2x5 though which is MUCH better than they had before and as soon as I can I'm going to order some more and expand it.

Anyway the only problem I've run into is that the the middle of the lid is sagging in. I don't think it'll fall but there has to be a way to keep it from sagging so badly.

This is the new cage

@ojars , I just looked at your pics - great idea! I love it! I had been working on something similar (2x6 with the loft across the back) - and gave up because I couldnt get enough support. I ended up putting grids below to support it and then trying to get fleece in was just a pain, so I needed up taking it back apart. It wa

To the OP - I also like these new metal supports available in the cages store. I was considering ordering these, so I don't have experience yet using them, but they look like they would be easy to use. Two of them spanning the short way across your cage would probably work wonderfully. I think that it how they sell them when you purchase on of their large cages with a lid: Rods and Support Bars (Wonder Bars) for Cubes and Coroplast Cages

I used a 1" wood dowel placed vertically. I used two. One has a smaller dowel in the end of it that fits into my central connector on that side of the lid. The other one helps support the top level, it has holes drilled through it and it is secured with zip ties.

You can also make your lid out of wire shelving found at Home Depot or Lowes. This makes a very sturdy top, easy to open and close.

thanks y'all!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.