Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye my little friend

markmark

Cavy Slave
Yesterday morning my 3.5 year old piggy had suddenly died in the night and I can't stop thinking why and how sad it's left me feeling when she seemed perfectly normal the day before. She was well housed, regularly cleaned, lots of greens, fruits, hay, cuddles and chats! Is it common for guinea pigs to suddenly die? I really miss such a lovable pet.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say that it is common for them die suddenly, however, they are prey animals so they tend to hide their illnesses really well, and sometimes these illnesses can be very hard to detect until it is to late.

If you have any other guinea pigs that was housed with her then you need to make sure that they see a cavy savy vet as soon as possible to make sure that they are healthy and not sick. Just to be on the safe side.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope everything goes well with any other guinea pigs that you may have.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, you must be so devastated. It happened too fast. My sincere condolences to you, and lots of love to your piggy!

ladymaybug

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, that has to be very hard. My thoughts are with you!

Yoshi&Sebastian

Cavy Slave
I am so very very sorry for your loss.
I just lost my 4 year old Sebby on the 15th. :weepy:
I wish you all the best and if you need anyone to talk to, I'm here.
Just remember that they can still hear and see you, so feel free to talk to them ❤️ I talk to my Sebby constantly and it helps a lot.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
It must be very hard for you, I'm so sorry. :(

As previously stated, Guinea Pigs hide their illnesses very well. The best way to catch something before it is too late is to weigh them weekly.

markmark

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and kind words. I took a lantern and put three candles in it, one for each full year of her life, and lit them over where she is buried. She had a great friend with a dwarf rabbit and they groomed each other and little piggy even used to lay across the rabbits back and they would both fall asleep, and snuggle up to each other. When I let them out piggy used to follow the rabbit around faithfully and the rabbit would seem to be checking she was ok and keeping up!

Now my rabbit seems to be eating less and just sits in one place in her hutch. Before I laid little piggy to rest, I let the rabbit spend time with her, and in her own time she left the body and hopped off. I'm sure animals understand death but concerned she is becoming depressed and unhappy. Does anyone have any suggestions please?​

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.