Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Good site for guinea toys?

Geranium

Cavy Slave
Since I refuse to support Petco/Petsmart, and the only local pet shops around me only carry guinea pig food and hay, I'm looking for a good site to find toys and chews for my little piggies. I've browsed this market and a couple of links off a google search, but many sites are limited or have bizarre toys containing ingredients that probably aren't good for the little squeakers (namely dyed/painted wood chews, lava rocks, etc.) Do let me know any sites you guys use! Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine have never chewed a single toy I got for them. They try to chew the hard rubber step stools that I use for hideys, but can't get anything of them. And most pigs aren't too interested in toys, so don't go overboard until you try a couple and see whether they like them.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Ditto, I have purchase willow balls, loofa sticks, wood blocks. All of waste of $$. Spend the $ on a nice cuddle cup/sleep sack. I ordered some off of etsy, have yet to got them.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I bought a grooming kit that came with a wood chew that they were surprisingly interested in. Problem is it's flat and they have a hard time grabbing it, and most of all it's dyed/colored. I just feel bad for them not having anything to chew on except hay, especially because one of them goes crazy chewing on the plastic igloo I've got them! Basically I'm just looking for natural/uncolored wood chews or things like that.

mrcosta94

Cavy Slave
Toilet paper rolls or paper-towel rolls. They love them!

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
It's hard to find stores online (offline as well in my case) that have a decent variety of quality small pet products. But I've seen a few decent toys/chews on DrsFosterSmith.

My boars came with a set of chews (two died lava chews which I won't give them & some apple wood sticks) which they're both okay with. They don't really pay them much mind, though, and will only chew on them when I bring it to their attention. So I'll probably only end up using 'em during floor/lap time or something.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
@mrcosta94 My pigs end up literally eating the things, so I've stopped doing that!
@Nazgul I saw Dr Foster Smith on the google search, some debatable ones, but some seem like they'll do. Good to know other people use are using that site. My guineas pretty much want to chew on everything so I'm not worried about the items being used, more so just a site that realizes living creatures are eating these objects!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
If you want healthy natural toys, most likely you will have to make them yourself. I am thinking about making my own loofah toys (hopefully my loofah squashes will grow well :) ), then I will try making some from organic corn husks (I bought a toy made with them and one of my piggies loves nibbling on it, but it is colored, so i rather make somehting myself without dyes.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
A site I've ordered from before is Twilight Chinchillas. She make homemade chew toys, most of which are small pet safe. I recommend her because I ordered from here for Christmas and my piggies, normally fairly picky, and they absolutely loved it all. My piggies especially loved the purse chew and the herbal toss toy, which you can find here: (broken link removed) They also liked the bomdiggity pop, which can be found here: (broken link removed) You just shoot her an email with what you'd like and you pay through paypal. Here's her facebook as well: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Twilight-Chinchillas/103864786339857

Some other sites you might want to check out:
(broken link removed) They have more treats and herb than toys, but their treats are very healthy and highly recommended by many guinea pig owners.
https://binkybunny.com/STORE/tabid/163/Default.aspx Lots of natural treats and toys! Very high quality stuff!
https://www.zoeyandlilostoybox.com/ Tons of natural toys and parts to make your own!
https://www.bobbysbunnyboutique.com/ I order from here every Christmas! These are all UK products that you usually can't get in the US!
(broken link removed) General pet site with a good small pet selection. I buy hay from here a lot and shipping is very fast.
https://www.petmountain.com/ General pet site and another option for ordering online.

Can you tell I also do all of my pet shopping online? :) Gosh, all this finding websites makes me want to buy some piggy stuff.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
My pigs like to chew on slices of loofah. One of them carries the loofah around the cage for some reason and it's hilarious seeing her try to fit it through the door in her igloo. I'm planning on making something like (broken link removed) but with fresh hay since they like the loofah so much. Mine also enjoy willow balls - just make sure that they don't have any nuts in the center of them. Sometimes stores like to do that for rodents, but nuts aren't good for piggies. Overall, my pigs don't like most toys. They do, however, like tunnels to run through or their fleece forest.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Great, then it is simple - I just cut up the loofah. :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I would not let your pigs chew on a loofah. Bacteria will grow on a loofah if it is kept in an area where it can become damp.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Mine come packaged in a sealed plastic bag and then given directly to my pigs. To my knowledge, it hasn't been in any damp areas but I agree that they should definitely be kept away from any water just in case. My pigs destroy them within an hour so they don't pee on it or anything.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
OH wow, in one hour!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Yep they love those things! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.