Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Gir's first visit

Adrianne89

Cavy Slave
Husband said that we don't take animals to the vet unless they are sick so i havn't taken Gir yet but the other day I noticed he had like scaly stuff on his ear and his fur was falling out on his ear... so he has an appointment in about 30 min to get a check up. I hope it isnt too expensive we don't have alot of money but i want my little Gir to be healthy.... I will post with an update when we get back :)

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/74065-one-pig-one-thread-please.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time you might want to post here first or do some research if it's not a very bad issue, what I think you are describing is fungus which I believe can be treated without a vet visit. Will save you some money, and your pig the stress of a vet visit.

Thank you, I thought about that but I needed to get his chest listened too aswell and general check up because I didn't know exactly what his sex was and wanted a clean bill of health. they said a bacterial infection and gave me some bactril? i think ... so I am glad he is healthy, I got a scale today so I could weigh
him and keep track of that. :)

It was most likely either Baytril or Bactrim.

Great that you got a scale. How old is he?

Ear Crusty

Vet gave me some antibiotics to give Gir because his ear was crusty and he was scratching a lot, I have been giving him .2ml once a day. But his ear is still really really crusty, there are no more scabs and he isn't scratching as much.. Do I need to clean it out and off? not sure how without hurting him and also what could I do to avoid having to go back to the vet.

Also the day we got back from the vet he kinda started sounding like he had a stuffy nose, like when a kid is sniffling... Not sure if I should be worried about this.. and I am broke right now it will be at least 2 weeks before I can pay for a vet. He doesnt have any nose discharge or anything ... just not sure. please help if you can.. Thank you

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/74065-one-pig-one-thread-please.html

Re: Ear Crusty

Is this an exotics vet? Because antibiotics aren't generally a treatment for itching. I'd treat him for a fungal infection -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for the creams and shampoos you can use for that.

What antibiotic are you giving him, and what is the strength and dosage? Usually treatment for scabs is a dab of an antibacterial ointment, particularly on places where the guinea pig can't ingest. Pigs don't do well with oral antibiotics, and giving them for skin problems is overkill. You need to watch carefully for signs of not eating, and if necessary, you'll have to hand feed him.

Also, get a probiotic -- Bene-Bac is good, human acidophilus or kyodophilus tablets will work crushed on his food) -- and give it an hour or so before or after the antibiotic. Most people give it after, but it can be done either way.

Sore on nose and beside eye

So I treated gir with the baytril for an infection and the vet said it wasn't mites. But now he has a little sore next to his nose and along the ridge on top of his nose, and a little one by his eye. and his ear isnt getting any worse but it isnt getting any better.

I have started treating him with some probiotic because of the Baytril.

Could it be fungal? What can I do I don;t have the money to take him to the vet again

Re: Sore on nose and beside eye

You don't need to take him to the vet for a fungus infection unless it's so close to his eye that you would get the medicine in it -- then they'd have to give you something that's safe for eyes. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html -- you can treat it with a cream and shampoo that you get at a drug store.

Ok I look at getting him that...

The vet said something about treating him with Ivermectin just to make sure its not a parasite.. any suggestions on which brand... to use?

That's not a typical place for mites, although they can occur there. If he were mine, I'd treat him for the fungus first, and wait to see whether he needs a mites treatment.

As far as brands go, I don't think it matters. You can get the pour-on kind from (broken link removed), and the oral/injectable kind from there, or a local feed store. The pour-on seems to be a little easier for newbies to calculate the dose and administer.

Ketoconazole help please and Ivermectin

Looking for this in america? is there an american local brand or name I can look for I need to find something that CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Winn-Dixie ect.. carry because that is what I have local and I do not have the money to order over the internet right now. I am also looking for Ivermectin locally, I found some good websites that carry it but I need to find something local. Can Anyone help me?

Re: Ketoconazole help please and Ivermectin

Are you trying to treat a fungus infection? If so, Nizoral and Pharmaseb shampoos have a similar ingredient and can be used. Monistat, Gyne-Lotrimin, Lotrimin and Mycelex can be used. All those are available at any drug store.

Ivermectin is sold at farm supply stores.

Found the cream for the fungal infection.. My local feed store wanted $46 for a small thing of ivermectin though..dear god that is expensive...

Why can you not order it online? (broken link removed) carries it for much cheaper than that, and is very prompt about filling orders.

I will look at getting it online.. I just thought it would be easier to get it locally and faster

Re: Pure Vegetable Glycerin to dilute Ivermectin?

This just looks like a much better alternative to using [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]propylene glycol which is not used in pharmaceutics applications like vegetable glycerin is. [/FONT]

I'd use the vegetable oil. The reason for using vegetable oil, like Canola, is that ivermectin is compounded by weight, not by volume, and the vegetable oil provides the same weight ratio as the original compound. Use of a lighter or heavier substance, such as glycerin, will affect the strength of the dose.

You're only going to be giving a tiny bit -- the reason for mixing up so much is that the ivermectin is so concentrated that you can't get the right proportions by using just a little. So you're going to wind up with 10 CC of the mixture, but you'll give .3 cc or less, depending on the weight of the pig.

Be sure to read https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_oral.html before you dose your pig. You'll have to mix it to come up with the right strength, so you need to compare the strength of what you bought with the directions on that page to make sure you're not overdosing your pig.

the glycerin has the same viscosity and texture as the vegetable oil...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.